PDA

View Full Version : Cannonball Racing

Randy N Connie
02-25-2004, 10:40 AM
I know this is not SC related.But I thought some may be interrested.
I had been invited to a couple cannonball style races for H.D.
To be on the invitational list you must have won a national championship
Or set a world speed record in differrent H.D. racing venues in your country.
I did not enter,but was going through some old paper work and found a old entry form.

I would like to do this in a SC Thunderbird.

RANDY

MIKE 38sc
02-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Hmmmmm.......reminds me of the king of the mountain races I've been in.(he he);) Sounds like fun. But you deffinatly need to cary bail bond money with you.:D :cool:

JAFO
02-25-2004, 01:00 PM
It would be a blast. I've been reading Cannonball! the book about the real Cannonball Runs Brock Yates put together. Sounds like a great experience. The drivers were picked by him and had to have some sort of racing experience. Not just rich kids like in the Gumball type races nowadays. They also actually raced for the best time, not just partying and showing off. However, as he points out, that was a long time ago when the interstates were new and traffic was scarce. To do something like that today wouldn't just be expensive due to new technology, but just plain unsafe. No matter how good a driver you are, there's someone that's just BAD enough to cause the accident for you and kill both of you. Just not worth it.

The One Lap of America though, that sounds pretty damn cool. :cool:

thundersc
02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Two years ago my GF and I was at the harley shop in Alaska (http://www.harleyalaska.com/ ) , I was talking about buying one and driving it home to Ohio.
The salesman started talking about two men one in town and one in Tampa. Each year one ships his bike to the other than both drive thier bikes back. Than one ships bike back home and flys home. Both are business owners and takes 3 weeks to drive it. oh ya 5000miles one way..

My GF's son drove his saturn down from Alaska to Dayton, Ohio. Than back one year later..I'm going to drive my SC there and back in summer of 2006. On the way up I'll hit Calf. by route 66 and turn right and on the way back hit the top states. I to plan on 3 weeks. 6 days up and 5 days back..

Anyone want to race :)