Fuel Type for '95 SC Newbie Owner

ezgoing

I just bought a nice '95 SC/5-spd and wanted to find out what the "lowest" octane of fuel I can run in the car without any problems. I know that "premium" is recommended but truly, what can I run?

Thanks

Mike

It is recommended that you run Premium, but you can get away with Mid-grade, but not for very long. If you want to run anything less than premium, it is widely suggested, on this board, that you take the supercharger belt off. I personally wouldnt run anything less than premium....my .02

stephen

you could run regular, but your gonna get lousy gas mileage and a worse running car. the engine was designed to use premium fuel because of the supercharger. if you REALLY like your car to actually run i would suggest to use premium no matter what it costs..

Isn't detonation a problem with fuel below 92? If so, plan on new engine in the future. Saw a post a while back on this somewhere.

I always used 93-94 Sunoco. If I used 89 it would knock big time under any more than half throttle.

same here....only Sunoco 94 oct. for my sc. best gas around here in the ohio area, however not the cheapest:)

you know what sucks? in amarillo the best gas we have at most stations is 90, and that is premium. there is one station way the phuck out there that has 91. thats it. and the guy that owned this car before me ran 86 octane its whole life. no wonder im having so many problems huh.

86,??? I would do a compression check on all the cylinders. I don't know what troubles you are having but that would easily cause detonation and eat a piston.

in all my cars i run 93 shell gas and outlaw octane booster.even with 93 in it when u really get on it u can still hear some spark knock.it is like that in my SHO,super coupe and mustang 5.0.i read somewhere that really 5.0's really should run 98 octane for best performance.dunno if it's like that for the sc and SHO.but i just like the way it runs with the outlaw in it too.

octane booster does nothing unless you are using CD2 Octane booster. It raises octane by 20points wich means 2 full octane numbers.

When the boosters say raises octane by 7 points, that means .7 octane. so 93 plus octane booster like Outlaw = 93.7 octane. Making it more expensive to use that then to just fill up with 94. So I would stay away from the octane booster unless you can find the stuff from CD2.

i don't know all the math but i just know i can tell a difference in the way the car runs when u add the outlaw.i've tried alot of boosters like that nos brand... they sucked..nos brand cost more than outlaw but to me it's a waste of money. but outlaw i can tell.where do u get this cd2?pep boys,auto zone,napa?is that the brand name or a chemical in it?how much does a can of it run?i wish i could fill up with 94 but i live in virginia and we can only get 93 even at sunoco it's only 93.or i can get cam 2 for like 50 million dollars a gallon at amoco.i ain't that rich.but anyways tell me how to get my hands on some of that cd2...

Back