leaking oil

neverfastenough

I have a 1990 sc and I have a oil leak... Looks like its coming from the top of the oil filter relocater. Is there a gasket that can be replaced, or do you have to change the whole relocater? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....Corey

What oil filter relocator? Do you mean the oil cooler? The oil cooler is sandwiched between the filter and the actual filter mount.

There is a rubber gasket between the cooler and the filter mount.
You have to remove the oil filter first then take a look at the nipple that the filter screws onto. You should see a hex shape just like a nut at the base of the nipple close to the cooler itself.
Now take a wrench and put it on that hex part and unscrew it, once you get that unscrewed the cooler comes off and you can see the gasket that your looking for.

do you kno of any other thing that might leak around there and is the gasket hard to find and is it a ford part thanks alot guys

The gasket is the same thing that is on an oil filter. Ford sells them, can't remember what the price is. If you want, buy the cheapest oil filter you can find (that's the right spec for the sc's) and pop the gasket out of it and use that.

I got mine from Ford when I rebuilt my motor cause it was just as easy cause that's where I got most of my gaskets from.

I was just about to post a message describing the same problem. Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to be putting my up on our lift this weekend and see what the deal with the oil leak.

FYI-Mine leaks almost immediately when I start the car. It leaves a little puddle every time. I don't know how long it's been doing this but it sure makes me nervous and I've been watching the dipstick like dipstick lately. I noticed the problem last weekend and I jacked the car up to go under and find it while the motor was running and I couldn't find anything, so I just tried tightening the oil filter again (hand tight as usual). This seemed to stop it even though I know the filter didn't move/tighten anymore because it was already tight enough. Sure enough next time I start the car, it does the same thing, leaves a small drip spot.

I'll let you guys know later this weekend if I get to it and fix it.

Thanks again!

-Adam Albright

Another place you might want to look for your oil leak. The oil pressure sending unit is on a 90 deg. fitting just above the oil cooler. Mine was leaking through the sender itself. Pretty easy to change after you locate it. It is tight, but can be changed without removing anything, on the 90 anyways. It is the white thing in the picture with red wire. The wire just pulls off. Hope this helps.

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/oil_sender.JPG

Later
dbd

I pulled mine apart when I had the engine out and I had a flat paper like gasket, not rubber. I didn't see anything in my gasket kits for it so I put it back on. Hopefully it doesn't leak.

the oil sending unit goes bad and leaks often i replaced mine twice then plugged it the 3rd time
lucas oil additive is very good for stopping leaks mine is dry underneath now and it never was before

Back