Rear Bumper Vent/Opening

SC UL8R1990

I was just pondering. Did ford design the SC's rear bumper with the vent for aerodynamic reasons? ive heard of rear bumpers actually slowing down cars at high speeds. They act like parachutes as air gets trapped behind them? Or maybe also to keep exhaust gases getting trapped in the rear bumper at a stop?

Two ways to create downforce on a car.

1. Place drag on top of the car, such as a spoiler, to catch the air and push the car down.

2. The second and faster apporach (in most cases) is to accelerate air under the car as quickly as possible. Take the Ferrari F-50 for example.

I would assume the slots are their to allow air through the bumper more quickly. They might also work sort of like an upside down spoiler having the air pull down on the bumper. I have noticed that many times SC's that make frequent runs way over 120 often have the slots ripped off from the bumper at top or bottom.

that would explain some of the little supports in the vent are broken on my sc :( i gotta cut the broken ones out, they look like poo

Fix em.

Plastic repair kit work. I've heard of people attaching some sheet metal strips to re-enforce the connection as well. Attach the sheet metal to the plastic with plastic bonding epoxy and it'll be like they are a solid mass.

I had the same problem. One Christmas my neice was opening her gift, a doll, and it was tied down to the package insert with about 497 clear plastic coated twisties. I saved them all saying I might be able to use them someday while everyone in my family laughed at me. Sure enough, they were a quick easy fix for all those broken strip pieces! I just drilled small holes in the broken end of each half, and twistied them together, with the ends of the twisties facing inward. Can't tell, and it's held up for a few years now...
:D

Back