vibration on the road

rolltide

My 95 SC has developed a pretty bad vibration problem recently. It was a little noticeable with my stock wheels, but now that I have gone to 17" wheels I can really feel it. It is mainly above 55mph and real bad up over 80mph. I feel it for the most part when I get on the gas. It makes interstate driving a pain in the butt. If I set the cruise, there is no much vibration at all, unless the car backs off and has to get going again.

I am going to replace my universal joints tomorrow as the car has 110K miles on it. I was told the labor was only around $70 and $40 for the parts. What do you all think, might this fix it or could it be in my driveshaft.

Thanks.

-Tony

Hold-up, before you start spending cash.
Sounds like the cars centerline may be off. The straight line from the center of the crank shaft through the center of the trans, drive shaft, and the diff. Its easy to throw it off, like when you replace engine mounts or drive train parts. The best way to get it to go back into place is to loosen all of the trans mount and crossmember bolts, test drive the car (around the block), being sure to hit all gears and reverse, then retorque the bolts. Be sure the check the drive shaft bolts to make sure they have not backed off. If the problem is still there after this, you can get your wallet out. Good luck

Back