need expert help with washer tubing connector?

CrazyCouper

Ya'll...
last night when replacing the driver's side, front, upper control arm, in an attempt to loosen the rear nut under the master cylinder, I reached down along side the shock tower, sorry...strut tower and realized that some fluid was draining on the ground! That fluid turned out to be from the windshield washer and upon further inspection realized that I'd disturbed the washer tubing and some sort of 'connector'. This is where the confusion begins...
This connection was very brittle, I guess from years of being near the exhaust manifold, sooo...I seem to remember reading somewhere that there's a valve that keeps the washer fluid from siphoning out from the reservoir. Is this the valve or just a butt connection for the tubing? Of course the old one is somewhere in hyperspace under the master cylinder and was unable to retrieve it for futher inspection. Anyone have similar experience with this? Any help or info that you may have would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to avoid the trial and error approach! This subject is not in my chilton manual and needs further explanation. Thanks in advance.
Bill

Piece of cake.
Take out the Windshield Fluid Reservoir (two bolts and two electrical connectors). Disconnect the hose and pull/trace the hose to the vacuum tree that sits next to the M/C. Usually a 10mm nut holding vac tree to the black plastic cowling if you WANT to pull out vac tree, but not necesary. Buy some hose of same diameter ($1.00) and replace to same connection. Mine melted in half from heat too. I made my hose a bit shorter and tied (Zip Ties) it close to the fender wall all the way to the Vac Tree.:)

My 90 SC has a inline filter that got pulled loose/broke while I was doing my rebuild. It cost about $2 for a new one from the dealer.

Washer Line Fix ?????

BobGPz,
I don't understand why the washer hose that goes to the nozzles would be going to the vaccuum tee. Isn't the piece that wezar is talking about a check valve to prvent fluid from draing back causing a delay in fluid spray when the washer is used, ie blades wipeing dry??

Andre

washer tubing

Thanks for the replies and the great advice...I'll try and get the filter from Ford, if not then just I'll replace the tubing. Now I can get to fixin'!
Bill

Re: Washer Line Fix ?????

Andre Perrault said:
BobGPz,
I don't understand why the washer hose that goes to the nozzles would be going to the vaccuum tee. Isn't the piece that wezar is talking about a check valve to prvent fluid from draing back causing a delay in fluid spray when the washer is used, ie blades wipeing dry??

Andre

It probably does that too. I just recall the parts guy calling it a filter.

CrazyCouper said:
That fluid turned out to be from the windshield washer and upon further inspection realized that I'd disturbed the washer tubing and some sort of 'connector'......This connection was very brittle, I guess from years of being near the exhaust manifold.....

My "Connector" or filter AND hose ends melted away too. Bought a new piece of hose and replaced it without (I'm pretty sure) the inline filter/valve. I don't see any delay when I push on the wiper fluid button, unless it is 20' outside and it is frozen, but I guess if it was on there, you should probably put one back on. This line connects on one end to the reservoir, and the other end on that ugly mess of a vacuum tree between the brake and clutch M/C's. I can send a picture tonight if you don't understand, as my cowling is off for my ABS M/C repair and is clearly visible.

Andre, the vacuum is used to help push fluid to the wipers.

Last edited:
The washer fluid filter is available from the dealer very cheap, $5.00 retail here in Canada, so probably $3 or $4 in the U.S.

Ford p/n is E5FZ 17K608 A.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

filter

yes, the filter was only $3 bucks here in the good old US!
they had it in stock too, which was a plus...
bill

I have a question concerning Vacuum line and washer fluid. I picked up the car a couple of months ago and have been trying to straighten everything out since. Here is the problem. I have a pretty bad vacuum leak and traced it out to the, surprise...the washer nozzles. This does not seem normal to me. I am assuming there must be some lines crossed. Any ideas?

Washer fluid and vacuum lines don't mix well, so I would assume that the vacuum tree has two separate trees, one used for the vacuum lines and the other for the washer fluid hoses.

One line has a one-way valve connector in line. That one goes to the upper intake assembly. Another line, of about equal length, goes to the passenger side washer fluid nozzle. they both connect to the vac tree by the m/c. Both washer nozzles are pulling air like crazy. Dies anyone have any ideas?

Someone must have mixed up the vacuum hose (with the one-way valve) and the washer fluid supply hose (from the reservoir). The washer hoses (supply, left nozzle, and right nozzle) connect to an offshoot from the vacuum tree and form a T-shape where they connect together.

Thanks J.D.. I see what he did. he switched the lines before the one-way valve. I was pretty sure the washer nozzles are suppose to be sucking in 20hg of vacuum. Too bad, they would have made Deer Whistles:)

Back