Crankshaft (Help)

ShawnSC1

I snaped my crank, and need to replace it. I have another crank in another motor, that is good.
Has anyone replaced a crank in the 3.8sc. If so, what should I look for and do right to install this shaft. It looks easy, but want to besure before installing. I don't want to snap another one.

well it requires complete motor dis-assembly. You might at well change the rod bearings as well as the mains. And you need to check clearances of all the bearings with plasti-guage. I think it would be best to pull the motor and change it, but i guess it could be done by dropping the pan and doing it from the bottom. But with all the hassel...i rather pull the motor and do it right.

Ford Manual:

Crankshaft

Removal

1. Remove engine from vehicle as outlined.

2. Mount engine in a suitable work stand. If necessary, drain crankcase and cylinder block cooling jackets.

3. Disconnect secondary wire from the spark plugs.

Remove distributor cap and wires as an assembly.

4. Remove spark plugs.

5. Remove oil pan and oil pickup tube.

6. Remove front cover and water pump as an assembly.

7. Remove distributor drive gear.

8. Remove crankshaft sprocket, camshaft sprocket and timing chain.

9. Remove flywheel and rear cover plate.

10. Remove connecting rod caps. Turn crankshaft as necessary to position connecting rod in the low point of travel before removing rod cap.

Push piston up into cylinder bore after removing connecting rod cap. Ensure crankshaft journals are not damaged.

Each connecting rod cap should be identified so it can be installed in its original position during assembly.

11. Remove main bearing caps.

12. Carefully lift crankshaft out of block to prevent damage to bearing surfaces.

Handle crankshaft with care to prevent possible damage to finished bearing surfaces.

13. Remove crankshaft rear seal and discard.

Refer to «Section 03-00» for crankshaft cleaning, inspection and refinishing.

CAUTION:
Because the engine crankshaft incorporates deep rolling of the main journal fillets, journal refinishing is limited to 0.25mm (0.010 inch) undersize standard journal dimensions. Further main journal refinishing may result in fatigue failure of the crankshaft. DO NOT refinish the rear journal of the Supercharged crankshaft, as it is already 0.25mm (0.010 inch) undersized.

The motor is out and on the engine stand. I have 1/4 of the shaft out allready. What if I don't change the bearings. Will I get into some trouble.
Also one thing I found is the timming chain to be a pain in the @$% to take off, but I also didn't do any reseach on how to remove it.

Billabong089,
Thanks for all the information. I am going to be very careful with the other crank, when installing. I hope I don't have to get into any finishing ect..

Last edited:
Back