Brake master cyl. fitting size?

BIGJAY21

Anyone know offhand if the fittings connecting the brake lines to the master cylinder are metric or standard. Gonna try to replace the mc this weekend and I am trying to get some info beforehand. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Jason

I got the master cylinder out and the rebuilt back in. Gonna bleed em tomorrow. One thing I noticed when I had it out was one of the brake lines that head down into the engine compartment goes into a metal block with an electrical connection then comes out the other side of the block and heads down towards the back of the car. The electrical connection was disconnected. I hooked it back up before putting the master cylinder back in. Anyone know what this elec. connection does?

Jason

Oh crap. Did a little search and found out its a proportioning valve and that its prone to leakage. If might have just replaced the master cylinder because I thought it was leaking and it could actually be this valve. Seeing as how this is a Tbird and things very rarely go the right way, I will probably be replacing this valve shortly.

Just got mine back in. AGAIN... I use metric: 11mm on the bottom one, 14mm on the top one closest to M/C, and 12mm on the top one closest to fender. A 17mm to hold the "Block" or whatever its called, was helpful the first time removing. Use a quality wrench. If you strip or round off the flare nuts, life will be unhappy for you....So use a GOOD QUALITY WRENCH or set of "Flare Nut Wrenches" (They are "box ends" with just enough "open end" cut out to fit onto the line)

BIGJAY21 said:
Oh crap. Did a little search and found out its a proportioning valve and that its prone to leakage. If might have just replaced the master cylinder because I thought it was leaking and it could actually be this valve.

You probably won't miss the old unit, as I am finding that they WILL break sooner or later (Depending on the model) and to look on the bright side of things, you just saved yourself a headache down the road as it should last a long time now without future problems....expensive though..:rolleyes:

so are the brake line fittings metric or standard? i need to know so i can finish my ABS reinstallation thanx...

i found that out when looking for pipes to fit it lol 3 different sizes i mean come on geez anyways heres a pic i took after installing the ABS and the bleeding tube running back into the tank as not to make a dam mess of my car leakig oil everywhere :D

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 68
Tip...when you put your lines back on, loosen one up just enough and have someone pump the brake pedal while you tighten the line up. Stuff a rag under the lines to catch the brake fluid. Do that on all three to help get the air out of the M/C.
Those hoses look like they are good for priming the M/C.. cool :cool:
It is a messy job, eh? :D

Back