Head bolt problems

Thomas95SC

This is getting ridiculous. Ive spent the last three days trying to get the head bolts out. I got the ones on top under the rockers but still trying to get the ones at the bottom. I broke the extension on a 1/2 in drive trying to break them loose. Hopefully, my gf's dad can bring his F800 over so we can use the compressor on the back. Were going to try to use an impact wrench to remove the bolts. At this point I dont care if they break off. I just want the heads off!

Get a set of 3 different extension sizes from Sears and use the correct one for each bolt. Use a breaker bar and a pipe if needed. Try to use a quick jeck to break them, like you would do with a lug nut.

if you plan to reuse the heads i would not suggest using an impact gun on the bolts.aluminum doesnt take kindly to that. do like the previous poster said get the best quality extension you can and try to use a heavy duty breaker bar and pipe. also spray some valvoline penetrating oil on it if you can find it. the stuff works awesome but is hard to find sometimes autozone has it. if you cant find that get some pb blaster and spray them down and let it sit over night. if you cant get some of the bolts out you should put the other ones back in just snugged down untill you break them all loose

None of this is working! Me, Wynn (tb88), and my gf's dad tried everything (air wrench, breaker bars, ect..). We got all but one of the bolts on the drivers side. The bolt head is starting to round off. Any more suggestions before I have to remove the engine?

buy a torqe multiplier, it is a gear reduction unit and will make you think you are superman. snapon also should have one. also use a six point socket. did you try to tighten the bolts first?

That really stinks, I was able to get all mine with a 3/8" drive ratchet and extension. I about blew a blood vessel doing it though.

if you absolutely have to plug all the holes and oil valleys. drill the head out while holding a shop vac next to it to suck up most of the chips. after you do that take a hammer and hit it lightly quit a few times then put a pipe wrench on it and try to remove tapping it with a hammer and remove good luck

I dont think I can get the torque mutiplier at the price of +$500. I got the passnger side head off but the drivers side is still being held by that bolt from hell. What about those specialty sockets that have the teeth in them for removing stripped bolts?

I GOT IT OFF! I went and bought the Sears Bolt out set and used it to remove the stuck bolt. Worked like a charm. Thank God. I'd like to thank all the guys that gave tips on this. It was most definantly appreciated.

Headgasket

Thomas,

If you ever get a picture of the bad headgasket...I'd like to see it...never seen a blown headgasket before.

PS. Glad you got that last bolt out with murdering your tool set!!

Thanks,
Rick

Im taking pictures as I go along. Ill for sure post them when I get them developed. I put the heads in the shop today along with the intake manifold. Im having the heads pressure tested, valve job, and checked for flatness. The intake manifold is being hot tanked. Should have it up and running sometime next week. Hopefully:)

Back