PDA

View Full Version : leak problem help

ZOOMBUGGY3
02-27-2004, 05:56 PM
my driver side vavle cover gasket keeps leaking oil. when i did the heads on it almost 4 years ago i replaced them with new felpro gasket and i have no problem with the passenger side since but the drivers side a replaced twice allready. whats up with that. i talked to the guys at work and they said they did not like the rubber felpro gaskets and that i should change to a kork gasket from victor.another thing they said was that maybe the pcv system is not working or i have the wrong pcv vavle.and said if the system was not working right it will just build up pressure and keep blowing gaskets. my lower intake allso leaking.

how can i ck the pcv system for proper operation?

Billabong089
02-27-2004, 07:36 PM
VALVE CHECK

NOTE:
Set parking brake and block wheels. Place transmission/transaxle in NEUTRAL or PARK. Place the A/C-Heat selector in the OFF position.

l Remove PCV valve from rocker cover grommet (for 5.0L cars, the PCV valve is located on top of block by firewall).

l Shake the PCV valve.

l Does PCV valve rattle when shaken?

Yes
REINSTALL PCV valve. GO to «PCV2».

No
PCV valve is sticking.
REPLACE PCV valve.

-----------

CHECK

l Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

For 2.3L HSC, 2.9L and 4.9L engines:

-- Remove the corrugated hose from the oil separator nipple.

-- Place a stiff piece of paper over the nipple end. Wait one minute.

For all others:

-- Disconnect hose from remote air cleaner or air outlet tube (tube connecting mass air meter and throttle body).

-- Place a stiff piece of paper over the hose end. Wait one minute.

-- Does vacuum hold the paper in place?

Yes
System is OK. RECONNECT hose. GO to «Section 2A» for other possible causes of vehicle symptoms.

No
System is plugged or Evaporative Emission Valve is leaking (if equipped). GO
to «PCV3».

-------------

PCV3 EVAPORATIVE EMISSION SYSTEM CHECK

l Disconnect evaporative hose (if equipped), cap the connector and retest.

l Place a stiff piece of paper over the hose/nipple, as in PCV2. Wait one minute.

l Does vacuum hold the paper in place?

Yes
GO to Evaporative Emission System, «Section 11A».

No
CHECK for vacuum leaks/obstruction in the system: oil cap, PCV valve, hoses, cut grommets (oil separator on 2.3L HSC, 2.9L and 4.9L engines) and rocker cover for bolt torque/gasket leak. SERVICE as necessary.

ZOOMBUGGY3
02-28-2004, 12:44 PM
billabong089 can u send me section 2A, and section 11A, of the diagnoistic proceder.

and where is the evaporative emission vavle located?
and do u have a pic of the 98 mustang gt spoiler on your car i would like to see how it looks.

Billabong089
02-28-2004, 02:20 PM
those sections contain a ton of information way more than I can copy and paste on this board and way too time consuming, I'm getting this info off the 92 Ford Factory Manual Cd-rom.

MIKE 38sc
02-28-2004, 02:30 PM
The problem is the valvecover is warped, I've seen alot of this.
Dont listen to your buddies about the cork gaskets there head is up there butt on that one. The previous owner of my car fell for that and warped the hell out of my valve covers and after that the blue gaskets would not seal. I'm making new Aluminum valve covers for my engine because Ford wants over $100 per valve cover for new ones.;) :)

ZOOMBUGGY3
02-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm getting this info off the 92 Ford Factory Manual Cd-rom.

where can i get that cd-rom? im use the michell on demand program at work and i could not find any diognistic procedure on this.im going to try what you gave me tomorrow morning.

The problem is the valve cover is warped

good possability but 2 vavle covers both the drivers side.see last time i did the cover i thought that the corner was lifted (bent) so i set it on the ground and taped it with a hammer well i did not know they were made out of magnesium and it broke.stupid me. luckly i have a spare motor kicking around so i took the cover off of it. i can tell it was alot straighter then the one i broke. and that is what is on the car now and still leaking but took about 3 months to leak.

Billabong089
02-28-2004, 06:00 PM
the cd i bought off ebay for $15, they sell for around $20, usually burned copies, if you want a copy, I'll be glad to burn it for you, just cover postage and cd cost, I would say like $5 is good its up to you I dont think you would want to wait for it... wish I could help more but like I said, the A2 link leads back to a huge glossery with all these diagonistics things.

ZOOMBUGGY3
02-28-2004, 06:24 PM
billabong089 drop me a e-mail on how u want to send me a copy of it.

[email protected]

rlong
02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
mine work loose a lot