New to the SC game

Shifty-G

Howdy Y'all!

My name is Gerry (sounds like Jerry) and I live in the Wells Branch area of Austin. I've spent the last 10 years tinckering with Mustangs and love em', but I'm ready for something new. So, I bought a 95' Chameleon Blue SC off of Ebay (I'm sure I paid too much, but once I get rid of my 02' GT, it won't matter anymore). My girlfriend and I fly down to South Florida to pick it up next week.

I don't know much about SC's, but would like a sort of checklist to look for once I get to the car. If I'm not comfortable turning over the big check, then I only lose the deposit, and get a quick vacation to the beach in S. Florida with my girl..

Can anyone type up a quick list of what I should be looking for?

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend!!

cool: Florida Bound!!

Congrats on the purchase Gerry. Ask the owner if the car has ever been recalled for headgaskets. All SC have/had problems with factory Headgaskets but the 94 and 95 SC's were recalled from Ford to fix their crappy factory headgaskets. The recall ended from Ford a few years back.

Headgaskets are the biggest concerns when buying an SC. Look for trails of oil in the radiator coolant or white milky oil around the oil filler cap.

As you already know being a car guy, you can tell if someone abused it or cared for it.

Your very first modification should be getting a free flowing EXHAUST system, the restrictive factory exhaust is one of the know factor of blowing a headgasket! Trust me on the exhaust part.

Cheers,
Calvin

Shifty-G said:
Howdy Y'all!

My name is Gerry (sounds like Jerry) and I live in the Wells Branch area of Austin. I've spent the last 10 years tinckering with Mustangs and love em', but I'm ready for something new. So, I bought a 95' Chameleon Blue SC off of Ebay (I'm sure I paid too much, but once I get rid of my 02' GT, it won't matter anymore). My girlfriend and I fly down to South Florida to pick it up next week.

I don't know much about SC's, but would like a sort of checklist to look for once I get to the car. If I'm not comfortable turning over the big check, then I only lose the deposit, and get a quick vacation to the beach in S. Florida with my girl..

Can anyone type up a quick list of what I should be looking for?

Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend!!

cool: Florida Bound!!

1. Headgasket failure (as Calvin stated)
2. Black residue behind the supercharger pulley (usually indicates seal leaking)
3. Look for any indication that the supercharger has been torn apart ( usually silicone sticking out the sides)
4. Collar nut has had a wrench on it (possibly boost leak)

This is just a start. I am sure others will jump in here and list more.

congrats gerry i recently purchased an SC over the net and it too was located in south Florida, personally some of the finest maintained vehicles come out of Fl and Az, florida's climate isn't that great because its soooo wet but thats y old people garage there cars and they maintain them rigourisly, good look and hope all goes well on the return trip

Well, I got my car home safe and sound today.. Here is a list of the problems-

1. Crank pulley has a slight wiggle to it and the belt squeaks- Posts on the main board suggests that a new balancer may be needed.. $370.. Ouch. :-(

2. Car pulls hard to the right after 75 mph (Didn't notice this during the test drive because I only got it up to ~60 mph.. Stopped in a town in N. Florida to get an alignment done- All wheels were adjustable except the passenger rear. Seems that the geometry of the IRS has been altered (probably from jumping a curb or something) and will require aboutm 3 hours of frame time at the local body shop. $300+ :-(

3. Both front struts leak (i can deal with this one later) $300+ for the auto ride control models.. I like the option on the car though..

4. Interior has normal wear for a car with over 100K miles on it, but the hazard flashers don't work (Didn't find this out until I was almost to Lake Charles, LA.)

4. Driver door hinges are sagging- I can get this fixed at the body shop while I'm writing that $300+ check for the IRS issue

the good news- the Chameleon Blue paint is in VERY good condition. The guy really did wax this car 4 times a year. Tail lights look new, tires are in decent shape that the stock wheels are in prestine condition. S. Florida was beautiful all though a bit chilly when we came back through Panama City Beach.. I can't wait til the Blue Bonnets start blooming here!!

And, other than the wicked pull to the right, this car handles better than any mustang i've every owned or modified.. WOW it just about made my kidneys squirt out of my arm pits taking an off ramp of IH10!

I think after the initial pain of the money being spent to get this car right, I'll have a good one.. :) The man gave me the original sticker for the car- Over $26,000 in 1995.. OUCH!!

Thanx to y'all that gave me pointers on what to look at.. Everything else on the list checked out just fine!!

Shifty-G said:
I think after the initial pain of the money being spent to get this car right, I'll have a good one.. :)

Heh, heh, if you think the money-spending stops there, or even slows significantly, then you really ARE new to SC's :)

Well, my intent is not to make this car fast, it is only to be a reliable daily driver. My go fast car is the 93 LX that I plan on putting a juiced 351w in.. But that is after the 02 GT is sold, and the T bird is paid for.. This time next year I hope to be running Mid-11's in the 93 LX.. :)

As for the repairs on the SC, again, I plan on staying pretty close to stock on anything I do with it.. I just don't know much about these cars yet.. This site has lots of great feedback though!!

Shifty-G said:
I bought a 95' Chameleon Blue SC off of Ebay (I'm sure I paid too much... My girlfriend and I fly down to South Florida to pick it up next week.

Gerry, HOWDY!!

Wish you could have made the TCCoA/Forbastards/SHO/SCCoA meet in Mesquite/Dallas today. Chris Manley has a 95 Chameleon 5spd car and works at a Ford dealer nearby.

Welcome to a good comunity.

Be sure and go to any Slidell, LA or Houston area meet (I include Beaumont or how ever you spell it in that). Those guys know everything there is to know about an SC I suppose.

I live outside of Ft. Worth. We hope to have a meet this June 11-13 up here for raod race training/driving in your own car at MSR and some drag racing in Ennis or somewhere. Probably a car show contest of sorts as well. Or just come and meet other owners.

In April the Fordbastards club has its Fun Run in Austin area. Fordbastards are made up of members of owners of SC/MN12 types, SHO, Probe, & soon to be the 2 seat bird and Marauder. All the Ford cars that have been abandoned by Ford. Anything posted here by "blue92" is the moderator or that Yahoo group. He is a pretty good guy even though he owns a SHO.:D

Doug

Well Thanks for the welcoming, Doug!

I'm still learning my navigation around this site, but it looks like a great bunch of folks.

It would have been nice to make it to a meet, but we were just getting in from a drive from Gulfport, MS on Saturday.. We didn't stop for anything but gas on that leg..

I'll be able to make the spring meet here in Austin in April, but I've not made plans for anything else yet. I have to sell the 02 Mustang before I make any plans on leaving town anytime soon.. But I sure would like to find out how many of these Chameleons were made.. :)

Anyway, hope to meet you soon.. Have a wonderful spring!

Gerry

Back