Removing Alternator?

SlinginBeauty

Im in the process of putting in a bhj harmonic balancer and my ud pully set. I have them all off except for the alternator pully. As from what i know that you need an impact wrench to change that pully and i dont have one so i was recomended to take the alternator out and take it to a local shop where they will change the pully for me. But my problem is getting the alternator out. It seems that after i undid all the bolts holding it in place, the bracket for the trensioner pully is in the way with the ic tube on the other side not giving it enough room to get out. What can i do? The bracket looks like it aint movin, and the ic tube is in place unless i take off the top of the sc and i dont have a spanner nut wrench to do so to move it out of the way. What can i do to pull it out? any ideas? i would have imagined this to be the easy part of my installation but i cant figure it out. All help is appreciated. Thanks. Zach

Yes i took that out as well thinkin it would let me move the alternator back. I took out the top bolt on back, that lower one under coil, the other one thats the the other end of the 90%bracket so no bracket anymore. The bottom lower one isnt fully out b/c my ic is in the way but its out enugh to be fully free from the alterantor. Theres no bolts holding it. Its just stuck in under to the right of the tensioner bracket and the ic tube to the right. I guess i can use a wood block and hammer to move out the ic tube so i can get it out. I hope it lets me get it out. Thanks for help all. Any more input? Zach

Well if you can't rock the alternator back and forth on the bottom rotator then it looks like you have to pry straight up and out from the tight fitting rotator.

Is the clip from the rotator suppose to go with it. Its half through the whole and the bolt is still in it a little but the clip looks like its seperated from the alternator so it doesnt have to do through the hole. I can rock it and lift it maybe half an inch b/f the tensioner brace is in the way of the top of the alternator. Ill go try and take off the ic tube when im done spraying the weeds;) Thanks all for help and if anyone has any help its greatly appreciated. Zach

Hey 35th, thanks for the help but i just got it out!!! yeah. I had to take out the ic tube but it shimmied out pretty easy. Thanks for the help. Zach

if you take out the tensioner pulley you can get it out without having to remove your IC tube. then before you put it back in, hammer that sleeve on the bottom bolt hole as flush as you can to the bracket. it makes it a lot easier to get the alternator back in.

NMxr7SC said:
if you take out the tensioner pulley you can get it out without having to remove your IC tube. then before you put it back in, hammer that sleeve on the bottom bolt hole as flush as you can to the bracket. it makes it a lot easier to get the alternator back in.

This is the easiest way to do it.

Jeff

I got it out and changed pully and its back in already. Thanks all for the help. Just was tryin to twist it out the wrong way. Zach

Back