Jim Demmitt is the fastest SC?

thundersc

Banned
Looking at top SC's link;

Funny that all the top SC'ers use NOS but Jim Demmitt is the only top 5 not using it. Plus he is the only one under 12's without it.

? I was thinking that the SC had to be stock ?

I see using NOS cheating, why is it that posi trac. rearend illegal ?

Great job Jim Demmitt for being the fast non-NOS SC in the top 5 (but than again if you used NOS than you to would be a cheater too right?)

Last edited:
Uh, maybe you should look around more before posting questions like this, and getting it in the right forum would help as well. Chris Wise and Coy Miller both have 11 second runs without nitrous, but only their fastest runs are listed.

? I was thinking that the SC had to be stock ?

Huh? The fastest youre going to possibly get a stock SC is 14s. All of the top SCs are heavily modified. Look at the rules for the list, basically all you need is a 3.8 sc based engine that "looks" like a sc engine. Having posi trac illegal would be ludricrous since most SCs came stock with limited slip differentials.

-Travis

NOS is not cheating anyone can buy it. It is no more cheating than having a supercharger

You bought what you brought

thundersc

"Mine is a true 3.8"
I was the second SC to run in the 11's and mine was a true 3.8 no overbore or stroker plus I have stock IC tubes stock type double intercooler all others that ran 11's where overbore stroked and with water cooled front mount intercoolers and glass hoods.

I plan to go 11.50's with same setup with no NOS no Nitro no Alochol my signuture will be changed as I have never ran Nitro was an idea but far to parts damadging.

So facts are true 3.8 V6 "NO NOS" no storker and no front mount intercoolers thanks for posting and we do not know the true truth on Coys 11.50's run its far unbelivable that he ran that without NOS or Alochol injection I need 100% proof on that

Last edited:
no front mount intercoolers

This made me laugh.

No offense Jim, but I guess a "true V6 3.8" is EXACTLY what you have, and any other modifications would be considered...."un-true"?

I'd like to hear you justification for a FMIC making the car any different from your set-up. Unless we intend to debate intercooler tubes now? I hope not.

Bill

"No offence"
But it seams you dont know much about what your saying!
All other 11 second cars had more CI and storker and front mount intercoolers two of them water cooled that is a big gain try running stock IC tubed a stock type intercooler just a double one dont see anyone els EVER do this and get into the 11's do you? "FACTS ARE FACTS"

I know you and others may be unhappy not knowing how to do this or how I can get it there just try to understand my point
again no offence intended Bill

in that case Jim, which Pro 5.0 car is a true Pro 5.0 car? Heck none of the even have a 5.0L motor anymore, so I guess none of them are true Pro 5.0 cars, humm someone better tell DaSilva, Sammual, Millan and others they are not true cars for their class.

So they bored out the motor, to what a 3.9? Big deal, heck they may not even have that much. Doesn't matter its still a true 3.8L block so mods don't matter, you probably just retain the most stock parts, thats all.

Jim,

You can't tell someone they don't know what they are talking about, and then say "no offense". I honestly meant no offense in asking you to explain why cars that have front mount intercoolers are not a "true V6s". In fact, I know exactly what I'm talking about as it pertains to this subject, and I also know that you are listing all the things your car doesn't have in an attempt to justify your argument.

I'll tell you what. If my car runs 11s (highly unlikely, but for example) without nitrous, can I come onto the boards and say that all cars that have long tube headers aren't "true 3.8 V6s" because I don't have headers installed? If that ever happened, then I could easily use your methodology and accuse you of "using long tube headers", "having a roll cage" and whatever my car doesn't have to do exactly what you've done here today?

I realize that other cars have used NOS, and have stroked engines in some cases. That is not what I'm arguing. I think it is a great accomplishment that you have gone 11s without having to do those specific things to your car. However, that doesn't mean that you can list EVERY modification that your car doesn't have, and tell people that you have somehow achieved more by not using those mods and obtaining similar results.

My point is, Jim, that you can't just throw titles around like "TRUE V6" and start deciding what mods are acceptable or not based on your perception of what is legitimate. If the SC qualifies under the rules set out in the "Fastest SC" list, then they are as "TRUE V6 3.8" as you, no matter how you paint the picture.

I find this so amusing

Ok... stock SC? NOS, boring and strokers are cheating?

Some observations....

- Coy Miller has provided very very limited info about what's in his motor. Aside from what can be seen on the outside, no one outside his shop knows what's in it. For all we know it could be 200 CID or it could be 260 CID..

- Jim has provided even less detail about what's in his. "Bob Johnson short block" and "Jim Demmit Sr. heads". Ya, that really tells me what's in it. Most guys have a .020" or .030" overbore (.020" makes 234 CID or a 3.83 ish liter) so that the cylinders could be straightened and done with a torque plate. That promotes better ring seal and thus more power. If BJ rebuilt a block with stock size pistons... nevermind... not worth mud slinging.

- Chris Wise and Dave Neibert have provided every detail and each step to those interested in there cars. A little different approach than some others trying to go fast.

- Neil Frisbee made his runs long before any of the rest in the top 10 and, in my opinion, deserves at least 5 times the respect since he had little to no help from aftermarket companies. We don't have much now, but there's been a lot more info shared on the web since Neil ran in '97.

So, until I see some detailed specs of some of these other cars, I put little to no stock in anything they say. Some of us in the low 13 - 12 sec range will provide every detail about what's in our cars. Want to know what's in my motor? Check the PN listing on this site. I offered up quite a few of them for everyone else to learn from. The only thing I've ever held back was the exact cam profile I have now, but I still give that to people that ask directly. Wouldn't it be nice to see a PN list of some of these other cars to learn from? Wouldn't it be nice if the need for attention or 'power' of being better was set aside and info was shared for the better of the community?

Oh well... I usually ignore these kinda posts but just felt like causing trouble today. Maybe it's the lack of sleep and 12 hours I spent assembling my circletrack 355's shortblock afterwork yesterday (continuing today with some additional head work and hopefully assembling the heads before I quit) . Can't wait for the season to start, nothing like the smell of race fuel and a small block at 6500 through open exhaust !!!! :D :D :D

that has always puzzled me WHY people think its a BIG SECRET what their setup is, I know in competitive racing its a big deal cause they are competing for MONEY but what are we competing for on here? EGO? PRIDE? I don't get it. I could care less if people knew what my setup is, I am glad to tell people, cause if it helps them get their car faster then good, thast what I came here for, to learn and help others as well. If you want to be secretive, hey thast your choice, but its not really helping others figure out how to make their cars faster.

jim dosent list whats in his car cause he dosent know. plain and simple. we've all seen these posts before on how he has (fill in someone elses name here) long block or what not and its obvious he dosent say whats in it cause he dosent have a clue. If he did know what was in his engine and how to get performance he wouldnt need someone else to build his engine for him. Also if he knows something like an air~water IC or a FMIC would help him out, why the heck dosent he buy it and put it on so he can be competitive?

I believe that Jim DOES know whats in his engine. I also believe Jim can say whatever he wants about what a true SC is .

I can too if I feel like it. So can anyone else.

I only know Jim from what I have read here but Its obvious to me that he has a long history with hot cars. Yes Jims dad probably did most all the technical work on the car, but that does not mean Jim was not close by the master while it happened.

If its a V6 SC and runs in the 11's with a car close to 4K lbs its amazing to me. I don't care if it is "stock".

I personally would love to have every mod known to man in my SC. Then find a blown up auto SC to build into an aluminum stroker big block car Pro Street Rich would have to cinch the belts up a bit before he lined up against.

My question is what takes you away from a "True SC"? You know if you take the paper filter out for a K&N its not stock any more.

Its all about having fun with these cars. At least it is to me.

It's all good in my book. Jim is certainly one of the top SC's and a lot of the credit goes to some really good driving. I only ask Jim one thing, why do you insist that you are the second SC into the 11's? I know it sounds cool for you, but it's not true so why do you keep saying it?

I'm not being argumentative at all, nor am I trying to discredit anyone. The fact remains that Neil Frisbee was in fact the FIRST SC into the 11's that can be substantiated with proof. He ran 11.80's with 125hp nitrous long before Coy Miller ever ran an 11. Regardless of whether or not this club has the time slips, it is an indesputable fact. I think we should give credit where credit is due.

David

LOL WOW LOL :D

My Bad

I know that any mod to a engine makes it non-stock...

I know that all the SC's on planet earth don't have factory spark plugs...

I know that a stock SC runs 13-14 range...

I think its great that Coy Miller and all the top 25 SC'ers has mod to their cars...

I'm just not a NOS fan at all...

I love talking with people at cruising that say "oh man no racing for me my bottles empty" / That tell me "WHAT are you saying that you car isn't worth crap without your bottle? well go see your mommy ya little baby. The big boys are racing tonight"

^^^Please speak English.^^^ Whether or not your a fan of Nitrous is irrelavant. Many of the big boys have used it, among other things to push the boundaries of what are cars are able to do, and have paved the way for many of us to learn from. Everyone here should respect that.

Back