FelPro vs Motorcraft: T-stat Gasket

Digitalchaos

I recently replaced my thermostat housing with a good used unit from another member here, and used a Felpro gasket to seal it. Before this, I used a Motorcraft gasket on my original housing.

Now having seen both gaskets, I have noticed differences. The Motorcraft gasket appears to be plasticized and has extra material at the bottom which sticks out slightly from the housing.. about 1/2". The FelPro, on the other hand, seems to be of a paper based construction, and has the exact shape of the housing. The right side bolt hole is also a perfect circle, as opposed to the Motorcraft's slightly oval appearance.

Having seen these things, I am wondering which is the superior design. I think the only significant difference is the material that they are made from, and it seems the Motorcraft would be more resistant to liquid deterioration over time than the paper FelPro.

Both gaskets were of course correct for the SC application.

Opinions?

I ended up getting some Mr. Gasket material (very thick stuff 0.050 or more) and cutting my own since neither the felpro and the motorcraft would seal. But when I took the engine out and was able to compare the water neck and the maniforld I found the waterneck's sealing surface was warped. It looked like I had tightened the bolts too much and bowed the steel flange.

I have been able to grind the manifold and the neck a lot flatter (it's not perfect but close) this time around. I also was able to get ride of an imperfection in the manifold that probibly made the neck situation worse. I'm hoping that will solve my small leak. I'll find out when the motor comes back.

Last edited:
FelPro

I use FelPro gasket.
I used Permetex non hardening gasket sealer a thin coat on each side never leaked the new Motorcraft one did leak

Back