oil cooler?

ThunderDave

While I had my car at the muffler shop today on the lift, I noticed a small amount of oil from a leak near the front of the car. Did these cars come with an oil cooler? That's what it looked like the leak was around, was a cooling type device. It was located near the bottom right of the radiator. If it is leaking there, can I get a replacement and how much are they. Are they hard to change out?

Thanks for any help.

David

BTW, would freeing up the exhaust (high flow cats, res. delete and flowmasters) cause the boost to be lower?

Yes, it is normal to lose some boost after freeing up the exhaust. About the cooler, I have no idea but you should probably try a search on the topic. I am sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in. best of luck.

That is your power steering cooler. Your oil cooler is above your oil filter with two coolant lines going through it. Is the leak red colored? Because PS fluid is red. As far as repalcement parts , it could be just a loose line. I can't remember if it's just a hose clamp or what. If you need parts I would ask in the parts forum as I don't hear about them giving many problems I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one. Do you have an Automatic, maybe a tranny cooler line is leaking oil in that visinity too?

It may be the power steering cooler. Maybe it's just a loose clamp or something simple. Thanks for the tip 35th. Thanks for the info about the boost LightY3arZ. Hey 35th, I'm wanting back that 5% now that I got my exhaust done, but I guess I'll get an aluminum one from ESM. Hehehe, they are lighter and shiny too.

David

Last edited:
Yea but I here they have belt slipping problems LOL! I haven't installed yours (I mean mine) yet. I wanna get the engine running and go through the complete break in process before I start throwing more boost at it.

slipping

That one would slip with me at almost 5000 rpms. At that point though it was no big problem. I'm going to try a little smaller belt this time. You might want to try that too. Car sounds really different under heavy throttle without the resonator and new cats on there. It will take some getting used to. So far though, I like it. The shop did a good job fabbing down tubes for me and making a Y.

David

Good to see you get rid of those old cats, that may have been part of your head gasket problem. I meant the 5% slips even worse with an aluminum pulley as opposed to steel so you would most likely need a smaller belt or bigger tensioner pulley.

pulley

I checked with Bill at SCP and he told me he was out of the 5, but had 10s. He said it would be about 4 weeks before he got more 5s in.

His are cheaper than ESM too. I don't know if I should wait for his or get ESMs :confused: As ThunderRoad would say "what to do?".

David

I meant the 5% slips even worse with an aluminum pulley as opposed to steel so you would most likely need a smaller belt or bigger tensioner pulley.

I would like to know what evidence you have to support this statement?

Paul

I do not recall making such a statement, but I certainly would like to review that email to figure out why I would say such a thing. There is no reason why the belt should slip more on an aluminum pulley than steel of the same size diameter. With regard to the ESM pulley, it has tapered pinch grooves providing more belt contact than stock improving belt grip. This is not to say that you will not need a shorter belt or bigger tensioner pulley to keep the belt from slipping, just that the aluminum shouldn't cause it to slip more than a steel pulley would. For the record, all press on pulleys are now 10 rib (fully compatitable with the stock setup) to allow for easier and cheaper upgrades in the future.

Paul

<edit> I am not jumping on you about your statement, just trying to get the facts straight</edit>

I don't have the e-mail anymore, I inquired with you about buying one about two months ago before I bought a used steel one. I'm not making anything up. What would be my motive? I just know what you said and that is why I stayed away from the aluminum. No offense, I was giving an opinion to a buddy from NC.:)

ok fellas

Ok fellas, break it up. I'm I gonna have to seperate you two? I don't know who's right or wrong, but I can't see why one pulley would slip more than another if they are both the same size. As I said before, I think the steel pulley I sold you 35th did seem to slip when it got close to 5000 rpms. That was with the stock belt and after I put that pulley on, I could tell the belt felt a little looser than it needed to be and thought there may be a problem with it slipping.

So I do plan to get one ESM pulley from Paul, but knowing what I know now about the other pulley, I will be using a smaller belt, just to make sure there isn't a problem with it slipping. Now, you two shake hands and make up. And next time I have to referee, I'll just pull the car over and y'all can get out. lol!!!

David

David - here is my 2 cents:

1). It is the power steering cooler and the hose connections are prone to leak. I tried replacing the stock spring type clamps with worm bands, but it didn't make much difference. The best way I've found is to cut off about 3/4" of hose, so you get a fresh fit on the cooler pipes and re-use the existing clamps.

2). I have the 10% alum. overdrive pulley on my '93 and the 10% steel one on my '94. Both are prone to slip if you don't use the slightly shorter belt. The stock belt is 8K(8 ribs) and 393 (length); so a 390 works pretty good. Alternatively you can install the larger (Cobra type) tensioner pulley to make up that difference.

One extra tip is to use the Dayco Poly-Cog belts which are pre-cut (notched) across the width - this allows the belt to wrap tighter around the small diameter pulley and is less prone to slip or split.
Jim.

There is no reason why the belt should slip more on an aluminum pulley than steel of the same size diameter
Well, maybe there is - if you look at the coefficient of static friction for rubber on aluminum and rubber on steel, they will be different. I don't know which is better, but one could do a simple experiment to measure it for the exact materials in question.

I don't know if the difference would be enough to matter in practice, but it would be interesting to know anyway. It could be helpful in improving the pulley design, as I'm sure there are also coatings available that would increase friction and reduce the chance of slippage.

Back