early model SC vs. early model 5.0

89lxBird

I'm lookin to buy a new t-bird, one that actually has balls and works. I have a sweet hood for an 89-93 bird, so i was looking to get an 89-93. I wanted to get a 5.0, because i kinda prefer v8s, but i was pretty bummed when i found out they didnt come stock with 5-speeds. So i think i may be lookin to get a nice SC, but wanted some stats. How do they compare stock (torque and hp)? Any idea what stock 1/4 times for each would be? 0-60? The only thing really driving me away from an SC right now is the whole head gasket deal, i donthave the time to replace them, and i dont have the money to pay someone to. So please help me out with my decision, but be open minded...

SC=yay 5.0=kinda disappointing

I have both, a 92 5.0 and a 93 SC. I'd say hands down the SC blows the 5.0 outa the water. But, that is probably maily due to the fact that the SC came with 3.27 rear end and my 5.0 has 3.08 (which may be nice cruisin on the highway, but are TERRIBLE at taking off). So, if you are looking to get a 5.0, don't think it'll be great stock at least. It'll need some work to get it going. If you dont' want quite as much work to be able to move, i'd say go for the SC, but that's just me.
If it shows anything, i'm selling my 5.0 right now to repay the money i borrowed to get my SC a couple weeks ago!

3 reasons why the 5.0 wasn't so good in the birds:
1) the AOD gearing sucks
2) not many have 3.27s, but instead have 3.08s.
3) the birds are heavy, and with the combination of the above, speed is horrible.

to really wake up a 5.0, you need to switch the gears and swap in a 4r70w from a 3.8 bird and a computer from a 94/95 stang gt (or a 5spd swap). then the countless 5.0 mods available.

I have both also, and the SC is the way to go!!! :cool: I always liked my 5.0, and I was looking to buy another, when I came across the SC. After driving the SC, I wonder why I didn't get one sooner! :D

Hands down as everyone said the SC will out run a 5.0 bird anyday. However if you're worried about the headgaskets, ask about them before you purchase and find out who did them...or drive it with ease until you get the time to do them. Shoot I did mine with the help of an experienced friend...and it took a matter of 30-40hrs of labor, so don't beleive the hype of the job.

Also no matter how you look at it you will be purchasing on average a car that is 10 years old so expect things to need some fixing, don't think problems won't occur to the 5.0. I think one of the biggest faults with the 5.0 birds was the AOD crapping out, or atleast from the people I know with 5.0s this has stranded them.

Based on everything I know and all the dollars spent, I would still buy an SC over anyother bird for the styling and the fact they are so rare. Its nice to stand out because of classy styling and at the same time be a sleeper to the unexpecting.

Either way, there both birds and to each their own.

-Tim

Thanks a lot guys, i think you have convinced me. I have a friend getting a SHO i think so i need somethin that will keep him from bragging too much... My main concern with the 5.o was the ****** tranny, which is why i was bummed when i found out they didnt have factory 5 speeds. I have a friend with a 90 Mustang LX Auto, and i saw the problems he was having. As far as headgaskets go, i would have a hard time taking it easy... (i'd be coming off a 95 caravan) but i'd make sure they were done right before i buy and make sure i keep the engine clean. Thanks for the help.

I think it kinda depends on how it was driven through out its life. I would say driven hard would be somewhere between 80-120K, and average would be somewhere between 120-160K +. I have really no idea because every engine is different, thats just seems to be when they fail most, but who really knows anyways, I have an XR7 with 197K and counting and I have no idea if they have ever been changed or not.

Shane

One thing in favor of the 5.0L is it's cheaper to make fast than the SC-Instead of dropping in a 4R70W you can have an AOD built up to 4R specs or buy a tranny from Art Carr or any one of the other manufacturers out there-you can also put in a 5-speed-the points are there for mounting the pedals and ancillary equipment.

Plus get the right exhaust and there's nothing like the rumble of a Ford small block-no matter what you do you can't hide the sound of a V6.

Super Coupes aren't all that rare, until you get into the 94/95 model years. A 5.0L that has the Cayman Green CC Metallic from 93 is just about as rare-only used the one year, and only 4.8% of the total V8 production for the year had that exterior color.

Don't get me wrong-I love the Super Coupe-I just prefer a V8.

My 91 302 had a 3.27 posi lok, radio & r-mirror delete and steel wheels. Ran against a XR7-5 and it pulled just almost even with it. But the stock 5.0 did not have the PUNCH an SC has. Just boring how it felt but it really was not that bad. I did run some higher revs on Highway that bothered me a little but OK.

I saw an article on an identical 5.0 with heads and blower running in the 10s and a daily driver.

5.0 car is a little lighter, but UGLY UGLY in 91. Later models had the SC front bumper which really helped!!!

Buy both, A junk 302 v8 t- bird,and a 5speed SC Bird.Drive the SC.Pull the motor from
the v-8 bird.go through the v-8 motor.And buy a KB blower kit for the 302.
Then install the v-8 into the Super Coupe body.

Then you will have the 5 speed V-8 that ford should of built in the first place.

Randy

I have raced both a 5.0 and a 4.6 Tbird (both MN12's) at the 1/8 mile on the same night. Smoked both with the SC with ONLY a K&N drop in filter and new tires(= no spin stalling the auto up to 2500). The 5.0 had a 2.656 60 foot time with a 11.236 to my 9.8, which wasn't the best ;-) And 2 consecutive races later, the 4.6 got a 3.071 60 foot time with a 11.167 to my 10.359 (both of us at 68 MPH). I think the SC would have pulled even harder on top had it been quarter mile (which i have never raced......at the track ;-)

I keep ALL my time slips and mark what I raced against and what prep (ice on intercoolers, cooldown period, etc) I have 15 slips with the TC, 33 with SC since 6-26-01.

With the lower torque, the 302 has to have lower gears. But then the bird 302 needs a lot of help to make it fun.:D

I guess it was a rolling start which probably made us run so even, now that I think about it. Started from 10-20mph, right after we eased out of the red light. So standing start I am sure he would have jumped me then we stayed even. Bench racing again. Nothing like a big block in the good ol days.

I've got a 93 SC AOD with a 5.0 engine that was just installed a couple weeks ago. The 3.8 supercharged motor that came out of it was much stronger. The car starts, idles and runs as smooth as glass, but when you hit the go pedal hard, it's a dog compared to the stock SC motor.

David

I think im gonna go SC cause i'm not gonna have the $$ to build up the 5.0 . I knew it would take some cash, but i think im better off goin with the 3.8, unless i find a cheap 5.0. I do love small-block v8s, and that is the only thing that irritates me. Whatever i happen to find when i am more ready to buy will be what i get, right now its lookin to be an SC. As far as sound goes, flowmasters are definately going on to try and make it sound a bit more mean, any suggestions on the exhaust system besides that? I would love to put a bigger cam in for that throaty sound, but i dont have the time to rip my engine apart.

Back