Home SC porting

fastsc92

Ok, i've done searches on this topic, but havent found really what i'm looking for. I'm really on a budget when it comes to this car. I have a long list of mods, but i have been still running the stock blower and plenum. I think i can gain some more hp if i send it out, or port it myself. I know the MP blower is going to perform better than any porting, but i'm not ready to spend the $1300 blower and plenum combo. I have an early style blower so i know that restricts things. I found a few pics of home porting that seemed to turn out ok, but i never got the final results. I dont want to hurt my performance either. I know the outlet should be opened up, but not too much to screw up the port timing of the rotors. Just let me know if the included pics are a good set-up that i should go with. It looks like the inlet has more material added and then ground bigger. And once its bigger, i'll prob. have to open up and add to the plenum side. I figure if i decide to port myself, then send it out, i can just have the rear section put on by MP, and maybe for a reduced price.
I can do some good port work, and i take my time. The major concern is how to take the stock blower apart. If i can get a step by step how to, that would be great. It seems that if i just take the pulley off, and the bolts, the nose section will come right out. Once its out, do the rotor and gear peices come out as a unit, or do i need to press them out of that plate? Once i figure out what i'm going to get myself into, then i'll decide if i want to port it out not. The outlet isn't my concern, its really just the inlet side and what to do about it. Should i just port it to its max, or add material and bring the opening closer to the bearings?
I'm just really trying to get some feedback of what i should do. If i port the top, and send just the case to MP already taken apart, I wonder if they'll give me a reduced price to install their rear section. Just take a look at the pics guys and tell me if it looks like an ok thing to do. Thanks again Also, I'd be welding the outlet slots for more noise (hehehe)

Last edited:
Ya i've seen that post. What do you mean.. "leave it alone". Do you mean pull the nose off and slide the rotors out, and thats it?

Don't press out the rotors just the cartridge. Remove the bolts that hold the nose on and use a Wood doWel to tap the rotor pack out from the inlet.

I Would like to give you more info, but the "W" and "s" keys do not Work on thi computer. Cut and pasting letters sucks.

Jeff

haha...i gotcha. So basically i just unbolt it and pull the rotor pack out and set it aside. The bearings dont need to be replaced, i just need to get the rear case aside. Now how about any comments on the actuall porting.

as far as teh outlet is concerned I wouldnt open the V that much toward the lower part of the V...The inl;et porting opening it up is good...Now teh stock inlet itsel fis junk..Needs more volume..You handy with a welder;O)

well my father has been a prof. welder for about 35 years. I;ve seen him tig two peices of tin foil together, so he's very very good at aluminum. So open the outlet, but dont bring the "v" down that much...so maybe like 3/4" higher than it is now?

hey, i just found this pic of a MP blower..and they port theirs down to the same distances. Here's the pic. Its a different shape, but overall the same lengths.

Attachments

• compare_1.jpg
    compare_1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 663
Back