Am I paying too much for high flow cat install?

pipecraze

I need new cats! I went to a few shops and told them I would supply high flow cats if they can fabricate the downtubes and make it all work. I got prices in the 700 dollar range for the work. I'm wondering if this is too high. Also wondering what others have paid for this job.

Sean

Yup, waaaaayyyy to expensive.

Havent done the exhaust on the SC yet, but on my 95lx, it was $160 to have a true dual system made and installed.

Just do a little more shopping around.

Way too much. All they should have to do is cut out the old cats; cut out the section where the new cats will go; cut and bend stock for 2 sides to fill the gap from the downtubes, and weld the new cats and the stock in place. I don't do this for a living, but having watched pros do their thing, and I would think its about 2 hours work (actually they can probably do it in less than 1) tops for a shop which does.

2hrs + materials should run in the $100-$150 range.

I'm looking to have the same thing done this summer; I'll probably go ahead and have the resonator replaced at the same time.

No Kidding

When i had my High Flow cats installed it was around $50 for the installation, and the cats from SCP where around $70 each if I remember correctly.

For $700 you can almost replace the entire Cat back System.

Shawn

If your geting prices that high the shops might not want to be doing the work so thats why there High.

Sean,

That is high. I just replaced my stock down tubes and 3 stock cats with a custom 2 1/4" down tubes with 3 high flow cats and two resonators for $600.

Thomas

You might do better on price (and performance) if you also supply a mandrel U-bend ($25) for them to cut up for the downtubes. You don't need any fancy angles to fit the downtubes, that's why you can just cut up a U-bend and it will work.

I cut and welded up my own exhaust, and the only part I needed to have done at the shop was forming the flange where the downtube connects to the header.

That's what I thought!

Thanks guys. I thought it was a bit much! Can anyone in the NY area recommend an exhaust shop?

Sean

Back