Pics of my latest broken engine parts

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
Last week I took the car out for a short drive and after doing a test burnout and bouncing off the rev limiter I noticed a metalic clicking noise was coming from inside the engine.

I pulled it apart tonight and found the problem. One of the spyders that holds the lifters in place broke and allowed the lifter to turn sideways which chewed a nice rut into the cam lobe. So now it's time for another cam.

Actually I was glad to see it was only the cam, I was pretty sure I had spun a rod bearing. Should be running in a couple weeks if I cam get another cam core.

Attachments

• broken spyder.jpg
    broken spyder.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,211
And finally my lovely engine compartment...It looked so nice last week.

Attachments

• cam repair 030104.jpg
    cam repair 030104.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 942
how the heck do you break one of those? I haven't seen anyone break one of those before, any idea how it happened?

Dave you have no luck with the valve train there at least it was not a rod bearing like you thought it was.

Good Luck

Those pretty red things sure are fun to look at..

Dang Dave. I bet you thought you wouldn't have to get that far into the motor again since moving away from the adjustables.

Either way, it's always a treat to see into that thing.

C-ya soon,
Anthony

Damn Dave that sucks! What do you plan to do about it?:eek:
I'm never gonna get this car built if you guy's dont stop breaking stuff and skeering the dumplins out of me.:p

I like that line.

"Get er Dun" :p *broke again*? Thats the story of my life there. 75% of the time Im easy on the car and something always happens when Im easy on it, NEVER when Im hard on it... So should I just drive wide open? rolleyes: I LIKE those rockers too! Do you have any dyno numbers? im curious to see what shes pushin'.:D

Anthony,

Those are the same adjustable rockers I had. What kept breaking every few months were the rocker studs. As you know when it broke at the Shootout last year it also bent one of the valves. Since the heads had to come off the car to fix the bent valve, I had the heads reworked to accept some much stronger Comp Cam mega studs. That part of the valve train is holding up fine.

Mike,

I couldn't find any reason for the lifter retainer to fail and I since it's held down with that springy peice of stamped sheet metal that allows some movement, revving it hard shouldn't have mattered. The part is a casting and the break was clean with no signs of abraision, binding or anything else that would explain the failure. It may have been dropped one of the times the engine was apart and had a crack in it.

With the v8 turbo SC project in full swing, I don't really want to do any upgrades like the link bar lifters Dave suggested, so I'm planning to put it back together using the same style parts.

I think it's just a case of bad luck.

David

PS: I NEED A CAM CORE....please contact me at dkneibert@charter.net if you have one for sale.

Last edited:
Here is the lifter and broken spyder
Hmmm, mine are figure-8 style and not spyders. I wonder if those would work better? Actually, neither of the engines I torn down have the spyders.

must be a early/ late model thing...

Do I dare say windsor vs cleveland
or canada vs mexican back stock ... lol

Both my 89s were spyders like your Neibert ......

Back