SOOOO Fording MAD!!! LOST OverDrive dangit

stocker 89

HELP WTF? OH man everything has been great the SC has been running great ..... I took it out on the highway and buried the speedometer a few times .... Just having some fun wow do I got the boost ... anyway parked the SC let it set for a week went out to drive it again . GUESS WHAT OVERDRIVE IS GONE ..... shifts great 123 no problem 4200 rpm 1/2 throttle redline at WOT. Shifts to overdrive and nothing . Just revs like it is in neutral.

What the heck could have happend??? It was there one day and gone the next. I tried putting in some fluid no change it wasn't low no leaks...

Are there any adjustments I can do from the outside? Could this be a dirty valvebody? I just can't believe it could just dissapear like that. CRAZY ... usually there is some slippage not in this case it is just plain gone.....

I know nothing about transmissions Help.... Thanks

Been there done that...

Same symptoms happened to me and dude its not good. When you lose OD it just means that everything else is on its way out too!

No joke though it was identical to your story. Jumped in my car to go to work and 1 thru 3 was great then I hit over drive and noticed I was only reving the motor up. I to did the WTF while pulled over on the side of the road. Drove it about 2 days and then it was starting to lose 3rd.

It sucks but atleast its not at a bad time. Mine went 6 days before Carlise last year and damnit I made it there with a new tranny and a lighter wallet! LOL

Anyways, don't continue to drive it for it will only make things worse.

-Tim

Hey TIM GROTH thanks ......

Well I am still driving it ..... I kinda figure things can only get worse.. It is still shifting strong and third seems to be ok for now I run 2800 rpms in third at 65 mph so it is not that bad and I doo mostly in town driving under 55mph. short jonts on the freeway..

I guess I will just keep going till it burns up and go from there wish I could pull it and fix it myself right now what I am doing though.A gonna have to learn ...... I do a search but there just isn't much info avaible on this site about the AOD and its innerds You think there would be tons of info seeing how most SCs had AODs in them ..... but no.................. just venting some anger... I will let you know if and when it burns up..... I pissed too cause I am pretty sure all my linkages are correct.........

I think your cheapest fixs would be to buy a remanufactured AOD from Advanced Auto...if I remember right they were around 850 or something. I had to check after I received my 2200 dollar bill, but it was higher cus "...It was custom..." my arse, but thats a different story too. rebuild kits are cheap however the know how is the hard part....My last suggestion would be to check the junk yards...not highly recommended but you might get one in great shape and save a ton. I baught one for my 90 LX for $200 and by God it was the best Tranny ever put in that car beleive it or not.

Anyways drive it easy and who knows how long you may be able to limp it around.

-Tim

...oh and no need to thank me...just giving back some of what I've been given here by others.

...."It was custom"..... my arse. Thats funny..

No SC drivetrains in the JYDs here they grab them as fast as they come in .... Yeah 200$$$ is what a JYD AOD goes for around here... I will have too look into advance auto.. I will drive it easy .. there just might be a rebuild kit in my future.... Had to learn the motor just figures now I got all the tork the trans needs redone .. you live and you learn will it ever end .... HAHAHAHA lol.... I suppose I get the trans redone then the rear end will go out then fix that then blow the motor fix that then back to another trans the cycle of PAIN.....

Hey Mike38sc that what I am talking about!!!!

I saw your list of custom parts from when you rebuilt yours.. The part about the CLUNK spring Really got my attention Right then and there I knew you had a SC trans for sure... I kinda like the clunk hahahahahah lol I had some guy tell me it was bad U- joints making that clunk... I was telling some guy about my predicament He said just keep driving till 3rd goes .... He said you got to take it out to rebuild there is over a 1000 parts and it has to be upside down to do a proper rebuild cause the bearings will fall out..... and this and that and oh jeesh........

What are we looking at????

I am guessing that is the overdrive band .... could you explain is it broke worn or what ? THANKS

Watch EBAY! I just got mine Friday, $204+60 something for shipping. Another AOD auction just ended tonight, bidding was started at $199., and no one ever bid on it.

Well you do have to pull the tranny to rebuild it, but that bearing thing is not true, however the 1000 parts comment is pretty close.LOL!!! Since your clunks when put in gear your anti clunk spring is broken and if you let that go to long you get to buy a new center carrier as well. Auto tranny are like dominoes, when 1 part fails and you dont fix it quick the rest of the parts fail shortly after.

Re: What are we looking at????

stocker 89 said:
I am guessing that is the overdrive band .... could you explain is it broke worn or what ? THANKS
The last pic is of the reverse drum and the OD band which wraps around it. Notice the grooves worn into the drum surface where the band clamps the drum. Thats not good.

It only clunks when I down shift into first under 30 mph...

If I come to a complete stop and put it in gear no clunk... Only happens when I am already moving and slowing down and down shifting....

LightY3arZ thanks for the tip... Have you put your trans in yet ? Is it all good?

Nope. Won't see it for another week and a half. But, Spinningwheels sc speaks highly of the seller, and I corresponded with the seller to get a feel for him prior to bidding. Nice guy, I have faith in him, at least until I get it in, and am given a reason not to. :::knocks on wood:::

Yes I see those grooves. My reverse works good...

I remember that picture of you torque converter all balloned out you must have been doing some high reving. I rev My SC to 6500 rpm all the time but have not seen any signs of balloning yet...

My AOD does have lots of miles on it I suppose it is just worn out... I hope 123 last a while .... I only got 1000 miles on this motor so far.... The domino effect huh oh no......

This pic does'nt even show the valvebody and parts. Mucho Mucho job. :eek:

Attachments

• aod post1.jpg
    aod post1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 125
WOW. :eek:

I am now very glad that purchased a used AOD. I am going to keep the one on my car now, and eventually rebuild it myself, but I definitely do not yet have the skill to do it.

OHH my gosh that is unbelivable....

Look at all those parts WOW LightY3arz you said it I am gonna need some help for sure... Thanks for the pics mike38sc if there is more keep them coming very interesting.....

Back