Broken Balancer. Please HELP

SlinginBeauty

Ok. My balancer has been acting up so i decided to replace it. I start takin it off and when it comes off the end has been broken off in the crank. It goes from maybe 1/4 in into key notch down to whereever the balancer ends. THe balancer is aluminum and easy to drill into so i started drillin into it and using self taping screws to get it out but they dont seem to get a good hold on the old aluminum and ends up rippin out. Doesnt matter if i get some good threading going, the pressure of pullin it out is too much. Apparently there is a seal on the outside of the crank area to stop oil seepage. From what i tell its the yellowish rusty lookin seal along the outside. If i take this out do i get more room to acess the broken bit of the balancer. I was maybe even thinkin aobut tryin to drill all the way through to crack it and get it to come out but dont want to damage my crank or anything. What can i do if anything. I guess back at the tapin screws tomorrow, but i dont think its workin and running out of areas to use my puller on it. All help is really appreciated. Thanks all. Zach

Attachments

• stuckbalancer.jpg
    stuckbalancer.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 366
i kept drillin and running long screws in until it finally cracked then it slid right out

thats what i was thinkin aobut. Seems easier than drillin holes and tapin them then putting bolts in and trying to use my puller to pull it out but dont want to damage anything. Should that seal be replaced. A friend said something aobut it should be b/c something he saw in my manual. Ill get it out tomorrow if i have to drill it to peices. lol. THanks for your help and everyone else input is appreciated. Thanks. Zach

Remove the timing cover.

Remove the camshaft timing gear.

Now get a two jaw puller and pull on the crank timing gear and you should be able to pull the gear and the rest of the dampenr sleeve with it.

This is exactly how I got mine off.

Pickup a timing cover gasket set while you are at autozone or where ever you rent borrow the 2 jaw puller.

Jerry

Mine broke almost identical to yours. Here is what I did.
Removed seal, it should be replaced anyways.
Packed area around broken piece with paper towels. It also helps to put some grease on the towels.
Then I drilled several holes as close to each other as possible.
After a while the piece will finally give up and slide off.
Mostly - Just take your time. It is not a quick job.

If you are not comfortable about drilling and keeping junk out of the pan, I would go to Jerry's option and pull the front cover and using the puller.

It will suprize you how tight that little burger is.

However you proceed --- Good Luck

Later
dbd

Mine did the same thing. I opted for pulling the timing cover it's alittle bit of work but I felt better than ruining something with a drill.

Broken balancer

Iron Raven said:
Mine did the same thing. I opted for pulling the timing cover it's alittle bit of work but I felt better than ruining something with a drill.
MIne just broke Tuesday and I'm having a hard time finding a new balancer from
Ford, they have discontinued them and they are not easy to find now. Had one shipped from Florida and it was a used one and they though they could pass it off on my mechanic, he told them no way, so now getting one from South Carolina, better be the right one or Ford gets to pay me for a BHJ

take two screwdrivers and wedge them in around whats left of the balancer and pry, then replace the seal, or remove the seal prior to prying :confused:. Or wrap blancers collar with tape or whatever and take a chisel and split the broken balancer in two :D

VERY OLD THREAD. Well, not that old but that was a few months ago. Got it out easy. Kinda of a PITA but just ended up driling new pilot holes and used the harmonic balancer puller to pull the remaining peice out using new sheet metal screws and metal washers. Pro one of the esiest ways to do it. Thanks everyone for their imput and help. Very appreciated. Thanks. Zach

Back