Rear Subframe Bushings

4 cam bird

I am replacing all of the bushings in the suspensions, and while that is all off the car I want to drop the rear subframe and sandblast it and get it powdercoated (if possible) because it is starting to get kind of scaley. I don't want to put it back in with the old squashed out rubber bushings. What are my options for replacements? Are stock Ford bushings the only thing produced? Does anyone make poly ones? What about Aluminum? Anyone ever done that? I am thinking it might be on the harsh side, but Im already putting in the 1 3/8" Addcos, the poly bushings, and some subframe connectors and other bracing, so I am kind of thinking why not give those a try too if anyone makes something. If no one makes anything, how thick would you make an aluminum bushing if you were to have one made? I suppose I could measure the bushing there now but it problaby is a little shorter than it should be after 143k miles.

There is someone who is making some aluminum ones. I can not remember for the life of me what site it was on. I think it was this one or it might have been TCCOA. Do a search and Ill see what I can dig up.

4 CAM:
e-mail me a sketch of what you want.And I will check on
the price of aluminum,And then send you a price.

I seen your bird at the 03 St Louis SC/XR7 SHOOTOUT.AND
liked your motor swap.So I would be interrested in helping
you.

www.rbpertek@csuol.com

Randy

I bought the bushing kit from MN-12 Performance. Those bushings are not included in it.

Randy,
If I can determine how thick an aluminum bushing should be, I'll get a hold of you and see what we can do. Diameter doesn't seem dificult, I can just measure what the bushing sits on, it is the thinkness I am worried about getting right.

Does anyone know if there is anything like this availiable for Cobras? The pumpkins are the same, the subframe could be similar enough that the bushings would be compatible.

I did it in steel

I had a set at the shoot out that were done in steel. They were eazy to do and they seem to keep the sub frame in place ok....Rich

Re: Poly Rear Subfram Bushings

I've been trying for 2 yrs. to get some Poly Rear Subframe bushings made. I've gotten LOTS of requests for them, but nobody seems interested in making them. I honestly think that the source of HWH (Horrendous Wheel Hop) is the large squishy rear subframe bushings.

I've purchased a poly rear diff. mount (from tbird88) & the IRS Pinion Brace w/poly diff. bushings (from mn12performance), but haven't received them yet. They may help reduce HWH, but I don't think they will eliminate it completely. I'll post a new thread when I've installed & tested the parts.

68COUGAR

Back