PDA

View Full Version : trans help

matthew
03-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Ihave a 90 s.c.,just got it 2 months ago..and the thing leaks trans fluid.Took it to the shop to get the mechanic to see where it is leaking from but he has to take it out to see where it is exactly.He said from what it looked like to him it was a cracked houseing,but he is guessing.Talked to a trans.mechanic that night and he said it was leaking around the torque converter...he said he seen many of them do that but he wont give me no price quote to fix it until i bring it to him to see what type of trans i have.I think the car has had a trans change but im not sure,is there anywhere on the trans to check to see what type it is..any help would be gratefull.
Thanks

scbird1
03-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Its a Ford AOD. I have never seen one crack but if you hit something underneath maybe. Most of the time they leak at the front seal, pan or rear seal. Mine leaks at the fill tube. It should have a stamped AOD in big letters on the pan. Front seal would be the worst but with a cracked case you would need a different trany. Good luck

matthew
03-02-2004, 08:48 PM
I was thinking it was the front seal,the trans mechanic said he would put the seals,shift kit,fluid cheap,he said if it was an aod he could get a stock converter for $40 bucks,but i want a stall since im pulling the thing out about 2200-2500,but i got to get my motor to keep from skipping after this,when it is cold it runs fine,it will take full throttle smoke the tires but when it warms up 10-15min it starts skipping,and popping,when i give it full throttle,anyone know what that is,i have an idea but im scared to say right now

scbird1
03-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I have one like that. Im half tempted to open the hood and pop a cap in it and put it out of its misery.Try the plugs and wires thing and check for codes. After that there is a launch ramp by a river here waiting for my car:eek: