PDA

View Full Version : how to check used short block

blackannsc
03-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Iam replacing the short block on my 90 sc, and have found a 95 short block w/70K thats been out of the car since july, how do i check and determine if it is worth the cash? Iam hoping just to attach my 90 heads ect and go. Any suggestions?

Email blackannsc@aol Thanks....

doodaa
03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
I'd say it's a crap shoot... unless you trust the seller or you can take it apart and inspect the bearings/crank journals. It could have had a serious head gasket failure or it could be fine.

blackannsc
03-03-2004, 10:22 PM
Doodaa
Thanks for the feedback!!!!!
What should i look for if i can diassemble the short block, to determine if the crank journals and bearings need to be replaced.

doodaa
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Look for scoring of the journals, cracks, copper showing on the bearings - stuff like that. Anything that is a friction surface should have a smooth mirror finish.

maxim123
03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
If your taking it apart go ahead and replace the bearings, they are not that expensive and its good insurance. while at it go ahead and make sure you don't have any bent rods, that happens alot with forced induction, when the headgaskets go water can enter the combustion chamber and hydo-lock and somethings got to give. i had one bent rod when i blew a head gasket. with a used sc motor you never know if head gasket failure has occured. forged parts will bend and cast parts break so... any easy way to check the rods would be to turn the motor over checking top dead center on each cylinder.