BHJ Balancer and fuel injector wiring Question

NR94mtSC

ok guys heres two for you.. caus im bout ready to go postal here
im trying to finish up assembling this motor and i have had BS problems with just bout every part on it so far.

1. went to install the new BHJ balancer and the lip that the crank bolts washer seats against is about 15mm in front of the face of the crank itself. Is this normal for the BHJ? or do i have one for the early model?

2. installed the injectors and went to loom up the wiring harness and the two section where the injectors are right next two each other, i cant decide which plug is for which injector? do all the injectors fire at the same time on this engine or do i have a PIA on my hands now caus i didnt mark the harness when i took it off?

any help would be greatly appreciated as im at wits end here
Chris

Chris,

The BHJ dampner is supposed to be slightly undersized to cover the manufacturing tolerances of all crankshafts. Some will fit but many have to be honed to the final size before they will fit. Your supposed to measure your crank first and hone if necessary to something like .001" smaller than the crank, for an interference fit. (confirm the proper dimensions with BHJ)

Yes it matters what wire attaches to which injector, just start it up and if it runs like crap, switch the wires.

Good luck, David

Last edited:
dave you dont quite understand what im saying with the balancer. if you look at the front of the crank, where the face is and the hole for the bolt.... it is inset 15mm from the face of the flange on the balancer... meaning when the bolt is there and the washer sits against the balancer, there are 15mm of threads on that bolt that are just floating in the air b4 it enters the crank.

is there a pin on the wiring harness that will determine the injector... ie. if i hook an ohm meter up to the plug for one of the injectors and the other end to a pin on the main plug i should be able to trace which is for which injector if someone had a detailed diagram. correct?

like i said ive gone thru so much Crap with this thing so far that im afraid #1 it wont start period and #2 if it does and runs crappy theres too many things im worried that arent quite right so im trying to minimize them as much as possible!

Thanks
Chris

What year is your SC? When I get to my shop tommrow I can look up the injector wiring and post a pic of it. Unless someone else has one ready to go for ya.

94 Manual Trans (not that that matters)
that would be AWESOME! thanks boss

you dont have any experience with the BHJ btw do you?

thanks again
Chris

Take a picture of the "Threads hanging in the air"....Then maybe someone can help ya out...

The fuel inj' harness should want to go to where it sat for the last 10+ years, if you look at the way it naturally wants to go it should be obvious which inj it goes to...And like Dave N. said it is not gonna be right if it is wrong so then you simply swap them out.

Brad

yeh the harness will want to sit in the same place but for the area were it connects to the "twin injectors" they are longer leads of wire protruding from the harness itself and they both come from exactly the same spot so there is no way to actually tell.

im afraid that this thing wont start period due to lots of little things and i wont know where to start.

you have no idea the BS ive gone thru with this thing... you name a part and i got a story for you

Chris

Well don't get me wrong bro..I understand the frustration...I just finished my second rebuild in the last year..."2 SC's"...As long as you are paying attention to all the little things you are gonna be fine...

The Grounds are one of the overlooked things...

Vac lines can be trouble...

The car should fall together for ya though...Don't sweat the problems until you try to fire up the car man..Get it together and lets see what ya got...

GOOD LUCK....

Brad

Your BHJ is OK

The BHJ does not fit the same way as a stock balancer. You will have a gap between the end of the crank and the "lip" that the bolt washer contacts. I wondered about that myself when I first installed my BHJ. You'll know you have it on all the way when you set the gap for the crank sensor. If the hall-effect vanes intersect the sensor properly, the BHJ is on correctly. I don't know why the gap is there on the BHJ, unless it is for weight reduction. Anyway, mine has been on for a couple of years now and I haven't had any problems....

thanks griggs, i was doin some research this morning and found a post from DR FRed a while back on the installation of this and in it he said that was normal. so i guess things are finalyl coming together..

thanks guys
Chris

Back