Instructions for properly rolling rear fenders?

Deep6

has anybody here rolled their fenders? I have some small clearance issues in the rear running my 17x9" Cobras with 255/50ZR-17 tires.

When I've got the car in "AUTO" mode, the rear end will dip enough to cause some rubbing. Running it in firm greatly reduces the problem.

Anyway, is this something that I can do myself and get professional results, or is it best left to a body shop?

I posted this question in the Suspension forum, and someone posted a pic with a guy using a wodden baseball bat.

Are you sure it's hitting on the fender and not the inside liner? Mine will scuff on the small inside liner piece. Yeah, I have heard of guys using a baseball bat to roll them. Don't know the proper technique though.

Thomas

yes you can use a wooden baseball bat, that will prevent chipping and or cracking of paint. ive never done it but i guess alot of people do

edit: lol, that was me that posted these pics for you before:D
RollingFenderInitialRolling.jpg

RollingFenderSecondaryRolling.jpg

Rolling Fenders

Hello,
I have used two methods here is the first.
I began rolling the fender lips by the common method - the end of a hardwood B-Ball bat.
Baseball bat rolled between the tire and fender, and using leverage on the tire to apply
Pressure to the fender. There were two problems with this:
1) The high and uneven friction between the bat and fender made it difficult to get a smooth application of pressure, which resulted in an uneven bending of the lip;
2) I was concerned that the rubbing of the bat on the fender would crack the paint.
Both problems were solved by placing a thick sheet of high density polyethylene between
The bat and the fender. This provided a low friction surface for the bat to run against.
Pressure on the fender lip could be applied very easily and exactly were it was needed. All
of the sliding was between the polyethylene sheet and the bat, thus protecting the paint.
The finished job looks 100% professional without a single crack in the paint. The
Polyethylene sheet was pretty much destroyed but the bat survived.

The second method required more time and more formal body tools, with much of the same result as the Bat method.
Good luck ,
D Rainer

OK-

"high density polyethylene sheet". In theory I should know what this really is. Where can I get one? Is it known by a more "layman" term?

I'm sure I can find a good wooden B-bat lying around.

When I apply pressure to the fender against the tire, all I'm trying to do is get the edge of the fender to bend upward right?

Or am I trying to get the whole fender to "flare" more outward to give more clearance?

I've attached my highly technical drawing...

Attachments

• fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 213
I try!

Hey,

I work for a prestigious design firm! We all helped to design the pontiac aztek as well as estabilish cadillac's "art and science" them.

But seriously, did anyone understand what I am trying to ask in the picture?

Where can I get a "high density polyetheylene sheet"?

Hello

Hello,
I like the drawings :)
Pic #2 is what you are trying to do.
I had a cutting board made of high density polyethylene.
You should be able to find it at any store that sells knives or kitchen equipment.
I bought my cutting boards on this site.
Click Here
Good luck,
D Rainer

Your having this problem runnin 17's and not lowered? Was going to lower mine and lookin to do rims too and i heard the combo works togher with same size tire as you are look for, actually 255,55 17. If yours rubs regulary then im maybe in for some trouble and need to do someother plans. THanks. Zach

Hey Beauty

Hey Man,
I have a 2" drop and have had 255/45 18's and did not have any problems with rubbing well, the only time I did have trouble I had a full load of luggage in the trunk, and a full car load of people.
I would not worry about it if I were you.
Laterz,
D Rainer

thats what you and others have told me but if hes having rubbin on tires slightly shorter than the ones i want to get and no drop, doesnt sound good espically with a 1.5in drop. Thanks though scyaltr, just had to ask him b/c doesnt say hes lowered at all. Zach.

My theory for rubbing...

The size tire I'm running is a 255-50ZR-17, NOT a 255-55ZR-17.

Running the tire at that aspect ratio would mean a 27.5" (or thereabouts) sized tire. This would practically be about 1" bigger in Diameter than stock.

The 255-50ZR-17 tire is approx 27" in Diameter and the Stock Diameter is 26.6". Were talking about a 1.5% difference in speedo readings. I've been told that anything below 2% is not noticeable by the driver. Were also talking about a tire that is .4" larger than stock. In reality that's only about .2" taller top and bottom (you get to cut the diameter in half when you are talking about height).

I really don't think that my particular rubbing issue has anything to do with the smidgen taller tire. Others here have succesfully run 27" diameter tires and have their cars lowered and have no rubbing issues.

I'm thinking that my issue is more of a offset one. I've noticed that my tires do bulge from the wheel wells about 1/4".

ALso my shocks are probably shot and allow for excessive bounce. But even at full bounce, tires should still not rub. That is why I've asked for the fender rolling advice.

In my "Pic 2" above, that should be easy for me to do. The "high density polyethelene sheet" is going to be a challenge to find. How thick of a "sheet" does it need to be, or should I just use an actual cutting board?

Hello

Hello,
I would just use a cutting board.
I used it because it would not scuff or scratch the paint.
It is also flexable.
The cutting board I used measured 3/8".
I would have used a thinner sheet but that is what I had to work with.
Laterz,
D Rainer

Back