Where can you find Kolache's in the US?

J57ltr

I have spoken with quite a few people around the country and it seems that the only place in the US you can find Kolache's (AKA pigs in a blanket) is in Texas. Most people haven't even heard of them, have you?

Jeff

Never seen them in a restraunt either. Usually get them where you buy doughnuts.

Jeff

I don't know how to make them, but I do know where to buy them:D

Best one's are made at home, but even Sams Club sells some pretty good ones with raw dough. Saw an idea once to make full sized with hot dogs and those Pillsbury crescent roll dough things. Not bad, but not the same as the sausage. Maybe with a cooked brat...

Grandmothers make the best ones though. ;)

Now that you've made me hungry, I'm going to have to visit that little czech bakery in the village in Cedar Rapids!!!:D

BTW-do a search for Kolaches in yahoo-you'll end up with a ton of links-there's quite a few in the Midwest!!

I did a "search" to figure out the correct spelling. Lol. I thought they were Polish, but found out they were Czech. I usually get some on the weekend at Shipley's or one of the other doughnut places.

Jeff

We have them with jalapeno’s down here.

mmmmmmmmmm!

ppppssshhhhhhhhtttt
We had them every other day for school lunch. But they sucked.

I will be in TX in 3 weeks I will have to give em a sample Tex style.

i use to live in houston 7 years ago and i was working at Gerlands Food Fair we made them fresh daily with and with out cheese at the time we charged .75 each but that was 7 years ago i dont even know if gerlands is still open.

There is a huge Czech community in Cedar Rapids, IA, so they have them there. In fact, I think there's a kolache festival or something like that there.

Or I might be on crack.

Dale

we call stuffed cabbage "pigs in the blanket" up here in pennsylvania. my grandma makes them all the time.....there is no dough in them though.

Jeff

Yeah, Dale-there's a huge festival in CR.

If you're looking for a Czech festival, visit this site for the listings for 2004:

http://www.aviso.net/dir/usa/czech_slovak/events/

Special Programs & Events
St. Joseph’s Day and the 3rd Annual National Koláce Bake-Off. March 20, 2004

Join us for this fun annual event! Every year the koláce bakers bring us wonderful samples of these tasty Czech and Slovak treats. Kolác bakers are invited to submit their entries in the following categories: Open Kolác, Closed Kolác, or Specialty Kolác (including the large traditional Czech kolác and kolác with non-traditional fillings). Participants are encouraged to use their own special family recipe. Prizes will be awarded to first place winners in each category as selected by a panel of distinguished judges, including County Commissioner Linda Langston, City Commissioner Don Thomas, and accordionist Leonard Reyman. A People’s Choice Prize will also be awarded. Prizes will be awarded at 3:00 p.m. 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. Heritage Hall. Tickets are $1.00 for five samples or $0.25 for one sample. Please enter by March 17, 2004. For more information or to register, please call Jan at (319) 362-8500.

We had a customer at the office today. Guess what my boss brought in, and guess where from? I thought it was pretty funny.

Jeff

Back