Auxiliary Fan on FMIC

kenewagner

Question: With a FMIC mounted in front of the condenser would a fan be still needed to provide optimum air flow during WOT. If I added a pusher fan to my FMIC would it be spliced into the wiring of the radiator fan?? Which wire would it be spliced into if that is the case. :confused:

Ken,

If you mounting the IC core in front of the AC condensor, I don't see any reason to add a pusher fan on the face of it. Since it going to block some of the airflow going to the AC condensor and radiator, I think adding a pusher fan to the AC condensor is a good idea if you have enough space between the IC core and the AC condensor.

I added a low profile 14" Spal pusher fan to mine as part of installing the MP FMIC, to assist with engine cooling. The additional fan made a pretty big improvement.

If you add another fan you don't want to splice into the existing fan wiring or you will overload the circut. You need to buy a generic thermostatic fan controller, 30 amp fuse and a 40 amp relay. Run the main power from the keyed power side of the starter relay and use the relay to turn the fan on and off when it receives the signal from the thermostatic controller.

It's hard to explain without a wiring diagram, perhaps someone has one they can post.

David

Last edited:
I have an Griffen Alum radiator, in your opinion is it possible I might have any cooling problems. I dont really have much space between the IC core & condenser. I dropped the condenser core about 3" to allow the top tube to come through and welded directional vanes inside the bumper to direct air toward the radiator & IC I would prefer not to add a fan if experenced SC owners, like yourself dont think I need one. The wiring instructions sound doable though

Last edited:
Ken,

When I first installed my pusher fan I still had a stock brass tank radiator and it just wouldn't keep the engine cool at highway speeds, and using the AC would quickly overheat it.

I tried recoring the radiator to a triple core and that helped but didn't cure my cooling problems. Even with a 180 t-stat and both fans running on high the temp needle would slowly climb up to the R before stabilizing.

Then I finally gave in and bought a Griffin...night and day. Even in the summer with the AC running the gauge never goes further than just past the "N".

I don't think you will need the second fan with the Griffin radiator, and if it does start running a little warmer than you like you can always install a colder t-stat and wire in a couple relays and controllers in to overide your stock fan settings. I've got some diagrams that show how to do that.

David

Thanks David, I think I will run everything just the way it is and see if there are any problems. This kind of help is why I am on the SCCoA site everyday

Back