Napa part for high pressure P/S line?

vettewars

Does anyone know if this is correct and which one to choose when replacing the power steering high pressure line that gets crushed under the motor when the mounts go bad?
And what years would it be good for?

NAPA Power Steering P/S Pressure Hose - OEM
Usually ships in 24 hours. NPS
72298 $ 38.99

w/o Variable Assist Power Steering

NAPA Power Steering P/S Pressure Hose - OEM
Usually ships in 24 hours. NPS
72320 $ 36.99

w/ Variable Assist Power Steering

(from http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/n...ing+Hose+-+Pressure&org_string=power+steering)

When were you planning on tackling this job? I also need to replace my high pressure line, and mounts. I'm doing it this weekend and just was checking to see if you had any tips. I got my lines disconnected from the pump right now, but have not went under the car yet to disconnect the high pressure hose from whatever it is connected to .. Does it go straight to the steering rack? Thanks Tom

maybe this weekend if it doesn't rain

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35850&highlight=high+pressure+power+steering

check this out....it has the proverbial ford diagram of the power steering lines. I've stared at that picture for hours and with my head under the car I still can't see exactly how to change the high pressure line.

If you can post a straightforward way to do the job you'll be the first to post it....a much needed how to.

I also posted questions about replacing the line with a high quality stainless steel flex pipe. They can be bought in certain lengths, then you put ends on them. The problem was, no one worte back on what the ends were. If I remember, the only choices offered are like 1/2 and 5/8.

Today I pick up the line at NAPA. I'll examine the ends and perhaps there is a way to simply cut the line out and put in a stainless in its place. That would be the ticket. Otherwise, for this car I'll spray the pipe real good with Walmart black rust paint before I put it in. It's generally in a bad place where it will rust out long term. On some cars it is saved by being splattered with oil and crap.

BTW....someone has posted that they simply spliced in a section that was rusted out under the engine (assuming the mounts aren't the problem)...so if you don't have mount problems, you might want to do just that. I splice brake lines and P/S lines all the time....don't be afraid to do that.

This is one of the few problems with this car that deserves a bullet proof how to and an intelligent long term fix like the stainless line.

Yeah, I have seen that post before and can't figure it out either.. I never did get around to taking the line out. Let me know if looking at that new line helps you any. I think I will do a step by step once replaced..

vettewars i dont know where you are but you could probably go to your local NAPA store and get it quicker than ordering off the website. It will probably be the same price and that way your money will go to a local business owner (MOST napa stores are independently owned) rather than the corporate giant in Atlanta.
Plus the cataloging (computer or printed) that the store has is much better than the listings on the website. I work at a NAPA store and when customer's come in with a part number they got off the internet i ALWAYS check it before selling them the part ,and about half the time it's wrong.

Back