Will this work? IC fan install

brandonhgt

Okay I searched all the threads and I found a lot of useful info, I just wanted to verify this method of installing the perma-cool fan to the IC Iappreciate any suggestions, here is what I'm planning on doing.
1) Attach fan to IC using zip ties
2) Ground the negative wire from the fan to a bare metal surface
3) Attach an inline fuse (15A) to positive wire from fan
4) Tap into ignition wire (R/LG) that originates from the #3 fuse

Am I missing any steps? Is there any way to identify the correct ignition wire without taking the power distribution box apart?

Thanks

I just control mine

with a toggle swich inside the car and your steps 1, 2 & 3.
Just throwing that out there for ya.
Andy

I just tied on to the pos. battery term.

fused it and grounded right near the battery box.
This IC fan is a cool looking mod. but don't expect to see any performance improvment. My experience is that the combo of all of the typical bolt on mods will show results and beyond that i.e. cam and head work -etc. is when it all starts to come together.
If you want the biggest bang for the buck get you a rear gear if you don't have one. 3.73 for an auto or 3.27 for a 5 sp.
hope that helps.
Andy

brandonhgt said:
Okay I searched all the threads and I found a lot of useful info, I just wanted to verify this method of installing the perma-cool fan to the IC Iappreciate any suggestions, here is what I'm planning on doing.
1) Attach fan to IC using zip ties
2) Ground the negative wire from the fan to a bare metal surface
3) Attach an inline fuse (15A) to positive wire from fan
4) Tap into ignition wire (R/LG) that originates from the #3 fuse

Am I missing any steps? Is there any way to identify the correct ignition wire without taking the power distribution box apart?

Thanks

I'd recomend using a relay instead of just tapping into an ignition power wire. Use power straight from battery to run fan and put fuse between the battery and the relay. If you just tap into an ignition power wire, you risk hurting your motor because after you turn of the car, the fan becomes a generator and will supply voltage to the ignition wire until the fan stops spinning. With the relay, as soon as you trun the car off, the relay opens, and the power generated by the fan spinning down will go to ground though the relay. I had to put a relay into a friends truck who had a stereo shop install his electric fan. They did just as you had with tapping into ignition power for the fan, and when he shut his truck off, the motor continued to run for a few seconds until the fan stopped spinning.

HSKR

So would I follow these steps?
1) Attach fan to IC
2) Negative wire to ground location
3) Positive wire tie in directly to battery, with inline fuse and relay in this line

Also, what kind of relay would you recommend using? I definitely prefer your method over tapping into the ignition wire.

Thanks

Just use a standard lighting relay, should be at any parts store in the section where they have all the candy-@ss blue fog lights and such.

And step 4) would be to put a switch in the car to control the relay...

Re: HSKR

brandonhgt said:
So would I follow these steps?
1) Attach fan to IC
2) Negative wire to ground location
3) Positive wire tie in directly to battery, with inline fuse and relay in this line

Also, what kind of relay would you recommend using? I definitely prefer your method over tapping into the ignition wire.

Thanks

The relay is going to have 4 wires on it to hook up. Power from battery, power to fan, ground, and relay power from either a switch, or ignition power. I have mine with a switch that I put in the dash. The switch is a small black rocker switch with a small red LED in it so I know when the fan is on(like I can't hear it. hehe)Put it on the black trim peice to left of steering wheel and when it's off you can't really see it. I had a spare relay laying around that I used. The ground for the relay, you can just use the srew that you attatch the relay to fender with(or wherever you choose to mount it) And as Rob mentioned, just any automotove relay should work. 20-30amp preferably.

I used a relay and just hooked the relay up to the positive side of the selenoid, then hooked the switch side of the relay up to a toggle switch.

My best time in the 1/4 mile before the IC fan was 13.34, only adding the fan, I ran again and ran a 12.90. My setup was really over heating the IC so I got lots of gains out of the fan.

Back