Need sway bar link help

ThunderDave

I got some sway bar links from "Irsudog" and I think he said they were off a 93. Mine is a 91 and the castings look different than mine. They are a little larger, but the studs look the same and they are the same size and shape. Should I be able to use them without any problems of clearance and so forth? He told me they came of a car with about 48,000 miles and they look to be in great shape. Mine are completely worn out. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

David

I'll assume we're talking about front stab. bar links. The 93-up links are different, they were changed when the front spindles were redesigned. I'd suggest getting the correct 89 - 92 style.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

bar links

Ok, I checked with "Irsudog" and he told me they were off a 90 SC. I was mistaken about them being off a 93. Anyway, they are the same size and angle and I put them in and they fit. I haven't driven the car yet, but I think they should work. He told me that they should be the same from 90 to 91 unless Ford got them from a different vendor. I'll find out tonight on the way to work how the do.

David

Got new front from AZ for a 90 and they are the same except the new part is a little smaller diameter on the rod portion. It will certainly work better than the old worn out ones.

AZ calls it a kit instead of link and one guy would not go get the part for me to look at, as he said it was not the same part. So I went to a different store and it was correct.

links

yeah Doug, I guess you showed that guy. The whole casting on mine are bigger. The rods and joint areas. It drives much better, feels like the steering is more firm and responsive. I did however find a few other worn out bushings and joints I'll be working on some time. Are the joints pressed in to the parts or does the whole part have to be replaced? Such as upper and lower control arms or what ever they are called.

David

All I have seen of the upper ball joint is the arms come with it. Now some have changed out bushings alone I think. I just have the whole replaced on both sides if one is bad.

Link: I would rather have the heavier casting, but AZ had this slightly thinner one. Made by same company as well. It is for a street car I will probably sell so I did not care. Have no idea why AZ calls the link a kit? Had t change it as one of the ball joints on the link was loose and ratling bad.

Thinking about it I may swap that bar with a 95 SC bar so I have the stiffer bar laying around.

link

That's what mine was doing. Rattling like crazy. The lower joint on the passenger side was all but gone. The driver side link looked like it had been replaced before, but I put in the heavier one anyway so both sides would be the same. I'll start on the rest of it soon. It's just nice to ride down the road and not hear that annoying noise.:D

David

Back