Cam Grind Info??

cheeriosluvr

Just would like to get an idea of what people are running for cams??

I am gonna put a cam in my car.

Through some numbers at me or idea that you may have.

The car will remain with stock heads, it has Headers/catback, MP intake package

I dont want a radical cam, fairly mild cam -- more street driven then drag raced....

todd

What is your goal with putting in this cam? If you want a mild cam for street driving, you already got one...

With headers and MP intake parts, your biggest restriction is the heads, not the cam. Your money would be better spent on improving those heads.

Rob Noth said:
What is your goal with putting in this cam? If you want a mild cam for street driving, you already got one...

With headers and MP intake parts, your biggest restriction is the heads, not the cam. Your money would be better spent on improving those heads.
[/QU]

stig. racing heads....... $2200 out of my range for now......

i hate coming on Forum's for a reason :rolleyes:

hmmmm...please disregaurd my post......i cant delete it, it wont let me

todd

Todd, don't get pissed. Comp Cams has a really good grind for your application. It is 210/220 dur and .491" lift. It will work with the stock heads and even the stock springs as long as you keep a lid on the rpms (5200).

I am looking for a cam also but I am having head work done... 5

angle valve job, port , intake port matched , I have all the MP11

stuff minus the FMIC ... also adding some crane valve springs

I want a everyday driver, but also want to take it to the strip

often. I really dont want something that idles rough . if thats

possible

XR7 Dave said:
Todd, don't get pissed. Comp Cams has a really good grind for your application. It is 210/220 dur and .491" lift. It will work with the stock heads and even the stock springs as long as you keep a lid on the rpms (5200).

it was the end of a long day and the last thing i want to hear is im wasting my money and should spend it to get heads.....they will come in due time. but since the motor is out i figured put a nice cam in it

im going to change the springs and retainers.........

is that a smooth idle cam???

im direct with comp, what is the grind number??

todd

what dave suggested would be a good one for you now and it is pretty good if you decide to do heads later. should still be able to hit 12's with it if that time ever comes that you want to.
Jeff

ok, the heads will be lightly worked on......a little runner job and maybe some bowl work, comp cams springs and retainers will be put on the heads, intake will be port matched

todd

a little runner job and maybe some bowl work, comp cams springs and retainers will be put on the heads, intake will be port matched
OK, well not exactly stock heads... Anyway, the reason for my earlier comment about heads was that the stock springs are barely adequate for the stock cam, and especially if they have any significant mileage on them, you could run into some real problems when upgrading the cam with "stock" heads. Since now you mentioned you're doing springs, that should take care of the problem.

Here's a sound clip of my cam that i just put in. Its a Coy stage 1 that i had Comp grind. Specs are in the sig. I fully ported the heads myself (intake, runners, radius, bowls, chambers, exhaust), and i got new valves with new stock springs. The stock springs can handle up to a .500 lift. Coy designed this cam to work with stock valvetrain. I just got new springs to freshen things up. You'll also need new length pushrods. But take a listen at the clip, kinda a neat lope from a 3.8L....hehehe.
Jay's SC idle

thank you soo much dave!!!

what valve springs and retaines have you guys been using with good sucess.......manufacture and part number if you can help me

todd

I questioned a Comp Cams tech on the phone last week about the same question. He told me that they are going to start a new line of 3.8 cams any time now, so there should be a cam in the line that you want. I am going to call back in a week or two to order one for my bird.

Back