C&L 73mm maf gain

GREATWHITE666

ive searched by cant find an answer. i just bought a C&L 73mm maf, does anyone know how much gain i will get from this? right now i have opened exhaust and 5% pulley. it says on ebay the 73mm will give a 13-15 RWHP gain but i find that hard to believe... is it true? thanks--
-Damon

Bump.
No idea, but when I did mine I combined it with an intake and it was noticeable. It didn't get "winded" feeling over 3000 RPM's or so. I'd think that 13 would be a little optimistic for just the MAF.

You need a bigger throttle body ~75mm 1st before it'll do much good. When I put a 70mm MAF on my 35th it didn't make any difference. A raised top would be another good addition to get full use of it. Then see if you can get another IC and make you a double IC. You'll really notice the difference then. That's about $1000 worth of stuff but do it one piece at a time.

Put a 73 C&L on my car for I got a hell of a deal on it...and well it doesn't do a whole heck of a lot with the stock TB, blower top and intercooler.

Sometimes doing mods lead one to head games where, just because its new, you think there is new found power...I know I've been there.

-Tim

Mike Puckett said:
You'll really notice the difference then. That's about $1000 worth of stuff but do it one piece at a time.

Actually, it is not that expensive anymore...

MAF from Corral ~ 100
S/C Top ~ 150 (from Fast Freddie or any other bargain shop)
Double IC ~ 250 ish (once again, Fast Freddie)
TB ~ around 280

Still expensive, but at least it's a bit cheaper!

The meter by itself does nothing unless you have other mods. I ran the stock meter (55mm) with and without the air silencer, then ran the 73mm with and without the air silencer (on the same day, same track) and saw no change in MPH or ET from any of it.

The key is that you have to be moving more air than stock to make it worth while. So with a 5% pulley you may see a little bit of a gain.

Oh, and TB's run about $125 if you can handle the linkage mod yourself.

Just look on Ebay or on the corral for a 70mm TB for a 94-95 Mustang 5.0. The cheapest ones are the Professional Products polished TB's. The Mustang uses a different throttle cable attachment. If you have a 5spd car, then you can just attach a pivot ball to the existing linkage. If you have an auto you will want to swap the whole lever. Either way it's not hard but you need access to a small welder.

Back