tranny/gas tank question, 93 AOD

pdennis93

on a late model tank do you have to drop the tank to change out the AOD transmission??? im getting ready to change out my tranny this weekend and was just wondering... im trying to keep the gas tank near empty if we need to, but i was hopeing we wouldnt have to..

Peter no need to all you do is un bolt the drive shaft from the diff (mark it so you know where it was) then up bolt the diff and lower it down this well let you pull the drive shaft out.
thats how it's done on a 5 speed.

i changed the aod in my 93 cougar and had to drop the gas tank. after you unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end theres not enough room to drop the driveshaft any to pull it out from the tranny.

is it easy to drop the tank, like undoing one of the little straps? or do you have to completely drop it, ie going into the trunk removing the filler assembly and fuel door etc.

You don't have to completely take it out...just take the bolts out of the straps and let it drop enough to pull out the driveshaft.

John

in my experience, i tried to get away without dropping the tank, but in the long run it would have been quicker to just drop the tank in the first place and be done. you will have more room to work then and won't have to screw around trying to get the driveshaft out and what not.

Jeff

You guys all make more work for your self. All you need to do in un do the drive shaft and the 4 bolts on the diff and down it comes about 3" this will let the drive shaft move back over top of the diff. I have dont it 2 times this way and I know others that have done it lots of times. Droping the tank is a pain in the @ZZ if you ask me it way more work.

Actually, if you have the model with the red steering wheel you don't need to worry about it. The red steering wheel package came with a fuel cell that is tucked off to the side so it isn't in they way of the driveshaft.

FYI the red steering wheel package also came with a M-178 blower, good for mid 14 sec 1/4 mile times. :p

Red steering wheel

Andy 94SC said:
Actually, if you have the model with the red steering wheel you don't need to worry about it. The red steering wheel package came with a fuel cell that is tucked off to the side so it isn't in they way of the driveshaft.

FYI the red steering wheel package also came with a M-178 blower, good for mid 14 sec 1/4 mile times. :p

I have never heard about this package. A fuel cell and blower twice the size of anything on a V6? I can't find anything on this. Can you enlighten me?

Blown90Tbird said:
I have never heard about this package. A fuel cell and blower twice the size of anything on a V6? I can't find anything on this. Can you enlighten me?
Only available to customers in Northern Baloneyia. :rolleyes:

I never drop the tank. There are 4 bolts holding the rearend up. Remove them and slide the driveshaft back.
The gas tank is alot more trouble than the rearend.
Alan

Back