Brake Fluid Leak? Accumulator?

Matt SC ESC

Well, i got some time to take a look at my brake fluid leak issue... and now my Actuator cycles about every second, while SPEWING fluid out from underneath the accumulator bulb. from what appears to be two locations, approx 2 inches apart... running in the direction of the front of the car (if that makes sense)... any ideas?

Also, the brake/abs light have been cycling since i bought the car, about a 18months ago... which i knew the accumulator was going out.

Are you sure it leaks from the Accumulator? These are SO hard to see where they are leaking from sometimes as they are just so buried in there. My leak started at the Pressure Warning Switch. It looks like a large Spark Plug Looking Thing and it screws in just above the Pump Motor. The internals of the Switch went bad, which forces the high pressure fluid to seap past the threads and onto the ABS Pump and everything else. The Accumulator sits directly on top of the Pump and Pressure Switch. Try wiping it clean and then have someone turn the key on while you look where its coming from. I bought a "Pressure Warning Switch" for a 1988 Buick Reatta w/ ABS (Same part as on our Teves Mark II ABS System) from http://www.buy-gm-parts.com/ for about $84 + Shipping, OR if the Accumulator is what you need, I got mine from www.priorreman.com for $99.95 + Shipping (Ask for Rick Fletcher in sales dept)....:)

Sounds like the oring. A failed oring would certainly cause a big loss of fluid and pressure and cause the pump to cycle frequently. Check to see that the accumulator is tightly screwed in. The accumulator might be OK. Another possibility is a broken line from the reservoir, or a crack in the steel line going to the body from the pump.

well, i had a chance to dip my skull under the hood today, while the fluid was pouring out. everything seems kinda loose to me. I've never had the assembly out before, so i don't know any specifics. On a normal, working actuator assembly, if one was to try to wiggle the accumulator, should it move? Mine can move almost an inch in any direction... the accumulator jolts, when the pump is activated...

That is normal

The Pump, Pump Motor, Pressure Switch, and Accumulator are all mounted (To the pump itself) to the Master Cylinder Assembly via two areas made of rubber. Guess it is for absorbing bumps/vibrations. You can pull it off via 1 Allen bolt, the filler hose/line (Pull it from the reservoir side not the pump side) and the solid brake line (Some use a hydraulic rubber line with banjo bolts). You are going to have a better time pulling that with the WHOLE assembly IF IF IF you need to. Sometimes helps to see a picture of what I'm talking about...Look below....
Did you find where it is leaking at yet?

Attachments

• teves mark ii abs.jpg
    teves mark ii abs.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 188
Due to my current health status, i haven't found time to actually do much work on it yet... that picture helps alot, thanks... i'll keep in touch on what i find.

Back