What is this called?

thundercougar

Ever since Ive had my Tbird, 3.8na, Ive noticed a flopping sound that I thought was the battery bouncing up and down, But I was changing my brakes yesterday and I started shaking things around on the upper-a arm and noticed that the joint on it was very loose.

What is this called, Its where the Knuckle meets the upper a-arm, its almost like a ball joint.

How hard is it to replace?

Thanks alot.

That would be the upper ball joint. They are only available to purchase as an assembly with the upper control arm. You can get them from a parts store like NAPA or AutoZone, or the Ford dealer.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I just got both of mine for less then $40.00 american (didnt look to see if you were north or not) from Autozone.

Hey, If I send you the money, Can you get me one. Cause here they are $53.99 american from autozone, EACH!!!

Im planning on selling the car, and if they wanted to test drive it and heard that noise, it would possibly drive them away from buying it, So its something im forced to fix.

Thanks alot.

Man up? Im 18 and still in high school, I have no job and have to buy things cheap and turn around and sell them for profit. Its not like I cant do it, its just that I rather try to sell the car without trying to dump anymore money into it.

BTW, My car has never been touched by a mechanics hands since ive owned the car. For one, I dont trust mechanics after what I saw on a news report, they charge out the a$$ for labor, and also overcharge for the cost of the part.

///////////////A buddy of mine took his mustang to be looked at cause he was planning on selling it and didnt want to fiddle with it anymore, they said he needed a new clutch, and gave him 3 part options, and he got the centerforce one cause it was the only name he reconized, and they also said he needed a new waterpump gasket. 1day later he got it back and that night he was relearning how to drive it(new clutch), and I got a call asking it I could call with my aaa car to pick his car up, and I did, We took it to my shop and got it up on the lift. I checked out the "new centerforce clutch" only to find out that it was a cheap knockoff autozone part, and that alot of bolts werent tightened to specs. As for the " replaced water pumpgasket, it looked like someone took a wire brush and cleaned it up a bit.

He took it back and threatened to sue, and they fixed his car and refunded his money, except for parts cost. They had an ASE banner in the window, I wonder where they got that from, the place wasnt very reputable in the first place, But he went there cause they were the cheapest.///////////////////////////

I know if Ill do it for the tbird, I might as well get my cougar up next to it in the other lift. The cougar has been a pain but I still keep it for some reason, Ive learned alot from that car after putting this into it:

25K engine
Arizona Transplant Trans, plus a b&m shift kit
3.73 R&p
Polyurethane bushing
Alum Driveshaft
Starter
Brakes, Both front and rear for both cars_
Rear disc conversion for the cougar.
Minor exhaust work. (Pipe to pipe welding)
Minor paint and dent repair
Trans cooler
a few more other mods, hisss, Im mean hint.

;)

Ill just be glad to get them both fixed up ready to sell, Im getting a fiero for $500, they dont have such a bad reputation, except for the fact that they catch fire.lol,

Thanks for the info guys.

I understand the money deal shoot...even working 2 jobs money isn't always there and saving a few bucks is nice omited the situation. However after shipping n handling it would be almost dollar for dollar is all he was getting at.

Perhaps take it with a grain of salt next time...

Oh and as for your buddy...the part where you wrote..."
the place wasnt very reputable in the first place, But he went there cause they were the cheapest."
tells me why that happened...

-Tim

Relax man. "Man Up" is an expression my buddies and I use in our every day chat. I guess it sounds kind of insulting if you dont know us. I do remember the days of 18, I never want to go back. Good luck

Chris

hey dude...look around a little! unless it's an emergency, you'll find a deal. someone selling some good used ones may give ya some for $20 or something. plus...just cause i'm 22 and have taken over half of my car apart, doesn't mean i've manned up! ;) hehe...i still try to get things for nearly free :D good luck on the search!

dr feesh

Thats pretty rough there fisshy. However you did use it in the right context. I am so proud. Which side of your car is the BAD one thunderc? I still have my old ones but the boots are ripped. They werent clunking when I took them off. Not sure if thats sumthin you would consider. The reason I changed them is the brakes were dicked up and was pushin metal in the drivers side one. I changed them both so I would not have to deal with it later.

Chris

Thanks alot for the offer, Ill try the junkyard, There a cougar there that was smacked in the rear qtr panel. its perfect except for that, So I just try to get it from there, Shouldnt be more than $10, They usually take what ever you offer.

I once got a transmission from a 1993 3000 gt for $200, anywhere else it would of cost $1500 used!!!! It costs so much mainly cause of the fact they are awd trans, they cant be rebuilt(from what Ive heard) and that they are extreamly rare.

Ill take my camera to take pics of some stuff that you guys may find funny, Basicly the fact that every tbird I seen there has the lowrider decal on the back, and every cougar there has purple or some other gay style of window tint and a wooden wing on the back.

Back