NOS bottle heater install questions

fastsc92

OK guys, i got a killer deal on a new NOS bottle heater kit online for $50 bucks brand new. I couldn't pass this deal up, to i jumped on it, even though its controlled by thermostat and not pressure. Anyways here are my questions. It says place the thermostats under the heater pad straps. Now does this mean put them under the velcro straps or the rubber straps? There are two...i'm guessing one is a back-up, but do i mount them side by side? There are plastic covers installed over the thermostats...do i take these off...or leave them on there? And they want a wire to run from the relay to the pos battery, is there a way i can avoid running a wire all the way to the battery?

The little thermostat thingys need to stay in the plastic sleeve they came with, I found the best place to mount the thermostats were on the upper 1/3 of the tank under the velcro straps but not under the heater blanket. I couldn't get the little peice of velcro to stick to the thermostat things, so I used a piece of duct tape and attached them directly to the bottle. You use both of them side by side and wired together.

Yes your going to have to run a heavy gauge wire all the way back to the trunk to power the heater, and you will also need another low amp keyed power source to trigger the relay. Using a keyed power source to operate the relay will prevent you from accidently leaving the heater on and running the battery down. I mounted the switch and the relay in the trunk on the Amp shelf.

I didn't like the thermostatic control and bought an NX pressure transducer to replace those thermostat thingys. Now it maintains a constant pressure which is much better than a constant temp.

David

thanks dave. The directions said something about a little "pocket" to put the thermostats in but i never got one of those. Just each thermostat has a shrink wrap tube over it. So KEEP the sleaves on, and mount them side by side. Thank you. I know the switch needs to be wired into a 12v wire thats hot when the key is on, but the main power wire must always be switched? I thought that even if the switch is on and the car off, the heater wont turn on because the power isn't connecting to the switch(12v switched source). I'll see how the thermostats hold up, and if not i'll get a pressure switch which i know are much better. I just couldn't pass the deal for $50, new in the box.

Back