Need input quick

35th T-bird SC

Is the oil pressure gauge supposed to show pressure without the engine running? I am in the missle of priming the oil system with the starter and I took out the plugs and disabled the fuel and ignition. I cranked it in two 10 second bursts and the gauge didn't move. I didn't want to crank it to much. Afterwards I unscrewed the oil filter and oil poured out of it so I know it's doing something. I thought with the pressure sender right by the pump it would have registered something? Maybe the wire on the sender is bad? Where can I get a gauge to plug into the sender that someone can read while I crank it?

Well I got up the courage to crank some more and it came up to the "N" around the middle of the gauge. My worry now is there is a defined ticking sound about every half second. Could this be lifters? Will it go away when they get plenty of oil in them. I don't see how I could have messed up the lash settings being that all you do is torque down the rockers to 22 ft lbs. I have all new lifters and pushrods too.

Our oil pressure guage only shows on / off, whether you have pressure or not. It is most likely showing what was in memory from the last run. An aftermarket gauge would be far better.
Did you soak your new lifters in oil and pump them up before you installed them? Good luck

I soaked them in oil but I don't know how to pump them up. It sounds like one tick every revolution of the crank. Is this normal noises for initial startup.

No noise is best. When we soak the lifters in oil, we use a spare rod and repeatedly press in on the top of it to force any air out. At first there may be some movement but each press forces the air out and its replaced with the oil that the lifter is submerged in. At this point, you may have whats called a "collapsed lifter". There may be something in a can that you can add to the oil, I'm not sure. Otherwise, you'll have to open it up again. But use a stethescope to fine out which side of the engine the noise is coming from. I did a search and found the link below. Good luck

http://autos.yahoo.com/repair/results/ques049.html

Back