plastic cover under crankshaft pulley?

Scott-Atah

hey there...doing the oil change today, and jonny mechanic pointed out some sorta plastic cover thing that seemed to sit below what i believe was the crankshaft pulley (he mentioned on the front of hte flywheel if that makes sense).

Anywho this thing looks like it's barely hanging on and has been kinda hanging for a while. Does this cover serve any important purpose?

Just protect the belt/pulley?

While rebuilding my engine, I found the same thing except that the top half was missing totally. After doing some searching and getting advice from a few people around town....I left it off when I put everything back together. No problems yet, and it's easier for me to check the timing now.

Mine's been off for over 5 years now. No worries. :)

resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

I patched mine up with foil tape, reinforced with epoxy and PVC plastic just because I wanted it to look stock, but you don't need it really. If you have a BHJ balancer, you probably don't even want it.. covers up the workmanship and for that kind of money, you want to show it off. ;)

I would suggest taking a good hard look at your harmonic balancer. My cover was shreaded and long gone when I pulled my motor. But, while pulling my motor I found that my balancer was ... well ... less than perfect.

not to scare you but.....
IMG_0194.jpg

Ouch Rich!
That is classic case of damper failure for all the people that don't understand why these fail, or why we have them check for that center bolt. On mine, you could spin the balancer piece (in left hand) while the crank/engine is stationary. Really glad I replaced mine before THAT happened.

BobGPz said:
Ouch Rich!
That is classic case of damper failure for all the people that don't understand why these fail, or why we have them check for that center bolt. On mine, you could spin the balancer piece (in left hand) while the crank/engine is stationary. Really glad I replaced mine before THAT happened.

Actually the center bolt was fine. Just the outer steel ring seperated from the elastomer and aluminum hub.

Back