Upper Control Arms - PIA - Help

littleboylan

Ok heres the thing, I got my new upper control arms, and I decided to start on the passenger side, being that I knew this side would be the hardest, anyways, There is no way I see to get a wrench on the nut inside the engine bay, so I knocked off the tab on the bolt, put my socket, extension, and drive on, but I cant get it seated all the way, so it feels like it wants to strip it off, is there any suggestions anyone? Thanks MIke

PIA

It's a real pia but it can be done. I've done it twice, I think it's an 18 mm nut inside the engine bay right? You'll have to flip the wrench back and forth with each tiny fractional rotation. You may end up wishing you had that tab on the bolt.

good luck.

MB

You're gonna be amazed

when you see how easy this it. But jack up the car, crawl under and look up at the nut. It will be easy to get a wrench on from there. All you need is a sloppy fit on the nut to keep it from turning while you take the bolt off from the other side. :D :D

As far as the bolt on the rear arm goes, you need a 4" 1/2" drive extension and a hefty socket wrench. Go behind the spring with the extension and socket and tap it on the bolt til it seats fully. It helps to have a breaker bar or cheater bar for leverage to turn it. Thats with the sloppy backup wrench holding the nut on the other side. Hope this helps.

On a different note, with the upper control arm bushing is it possible to change the bushing or do I have to buy a whole new unit. :confused:

The best thing you can do is just plug away at it. It does suck but heres the deal. The best way on the pass side is to get a SHORTY wrench after you break the thing loose. On the drivers side you will need/want a rachett wrench. To loosen the drivers side one lay on top of the engine and pull up. If you have headers be carefull cause your gonna hit em. You may need to use some sort of cheater on this one cause of lack of leverage. I used another wrench, placed the box end on the open end of the 18mm, and pulled up on both at the same time. I have done it twice as well. Never tried takin the tabs off though. My way you can do the pass side in half an hour and the drivers side in 15 min. if the car is already jacked up....hope I helped.

Chris:cool:

Alright, I have already had a wrench on inside the engine compartment, I couldnt get enough leverage to break the damn thing loose, and from the outside I had a socket and an extension behind the spring but still couldnt get it seated, maybe Ill have to keep trying, THanks for the replys Mike

I found it easier to just remove the shocks and springs when I did mine. Three upper bolts and one lower bolt.

Thanks all

Well I finally completed the change, it wasnt too bad just not enough room to make things quick, I just got it from the top, the bolt was stripped so sticking a socket on it from behind the springs was impossible to move it, but i got it, Thanks for all the replys, Mike

Back