Aftermarket exhaust advise needed

Shifty-G

Ok, I'm still looking for some feedback on the struts and pulley issue that I posted earlier, but I'll move on to question 3 of 5 Billion questions about my 95 SC

I see that Summit and Jegs have the Flowmaster kits but they require an adaptive resonator kit as well.. why? Is this something that could easily be fabricated?

the prices for the Flowmaster kit are under $400, and there is also a Borla kit that runs over $700.. Is it worth the extra cost?

Are there any other kits of comperable pricing available besides the two that I have listed?

Ok, that was really questions # 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, but again, any feedback is greatly appriciated!!

Save yourself the trouble, and just go to a custom exhaust shop. Buy your mufflers/resonators/cats via internet, ebay, scp, wherever, and research some local shops that are reputable, and have them fab together something for you. In the long run, a custom shop could put together your exhuast, counting what you'll spend on mufflers/res/cats, for around $500, if that. I was quoted $250 for a true dual setup, piping and labor, assuming I supplied my mufflers, etc.

Wow, so I guess I should ask- What exactly is the resonator, anyway? What does it do, and how does it relate to anything that i might know about my Mustangs?

so far, it sounds like noone is really that much interested in the aftermarket kits.. this somewhat surprises me as having a mustang past (and present) it wasn't "which exhaust is best, but more like what do you want it to sound like"?

I've had the Flowmaster kits on my mustangs, but currently have a complete Mac set up.. It has the same performance values as the Flowmasters, but doesn't sound like all of the other 5 Liters running around town.. Just a little different..

A resonator goes before the mufflers to quiet them down and help remove dronyness from the final sound. It is essentially a muffler before a muffler.

This is the setup I plan on runnin with on my 95sc. True duals, which consists of no cats, a dual in out magnaflow resonator, which is also an x-pipe, then out to either borla, or magnaflows on the end. Piping will be 2.5 in all the way through.

pearl95sc,

how will your setup with no cats affect the emissions? I recently failed my emissions test with my '94SC. Took it to a shop and they told me I need to replace my MAFS, my cats, do a fuel system clean up. The shop wanted to charge me $1,300 for the whole thing so I thought I would do it on my own. I had a friend replace my O2 sensors and the sparkplugs. The tranny's dead so I'm replacing that this weekend. Since I'm gonna be under the car I was thinking if I should get a custom exhaust system. Also, should I upgrade my MAFS? Thanks!

mortamyr said:
pearl95sc,

how will your setup with no cats affect the emissions? I recently failed my emissions test with my '94SC.
With no cats, you will flunk most 4gas county tests plain and simple. What the catless owners do is find someone to pass them w/o looking too hard, or live in a state or county where the tests aren't done.
In your particular case, you should post which things didn't pass and maybe we can help you fix it for less than $1300.

Thanks for the reply.

I first took it to Pepboys and they told me that the car needed a tune up and new O2 sensors. I did. The car still failed and performed worse than the previous test. Then I took the car to local shop for another diagnostics and they provided me with a list:

MAF sensor, fuel systems cleaning, cat. coverters

I'm definitely doing everything on my own or with help from my mechanic neighbor. But do you think that I should buy similar to stock parts? or upgraded? Thanks again!

You need to get the report and tell us what didn't pass. The 4 gas analyzers will report on HCs, CO, CO2, and Nox. Each of these is affected by different parts of the drivetrain and handled differently for each year, state, tranny configuration. So, let us know whats on the report; not necessarily what the shop told you. :rolleyes:

For example, unless your car is throwing codes (CE light), I doubt that your MAF has a problem. Generally, O2 sensors affect the HC levels and thats about it.

I don't know where I left the report but the problem were Hydrocarbons (HC). Way above normal. Everythingelse (COs and CO2s) were fine.

Run higher octane gas and pull the octane plug if you don't pass after doing your tune up measures. I am gunna have 2 seperate exhaust systems. On whats left of my factory, system, I'm gunna have the best oe power sucking cats I can find, and have them placed immedaitely after the headers. Then, I'm gunna have my true dual system installed. My friend used to work for a local exhaust shop, so I trust them to do the work, and they won't give me crap about lack of cats and all that against the law crap. I figure I gotta crawl under and over the car enough as it is, once a year for emmisions won't hurt, unless the car falls on me or something, hehe.

By the way, where in chicago are you?, I'm in midlothian. There's a few of us that have been trying to get organized to do things in the future like track days, and metting up for food from time to time. Lata, Alyn.

Back