two detailng questions

WiscoAndy

did a forums search but didn't find specific answers to these:

How to remove adhesive from glass tint ?
I presume my 35th car has tint on the rear window from the factory, at least it looks to be. Apparently previous owner had a paper stuck on the inside that after removal left adhesive lines on right and left edges. Don't want to mess up the tint.

Hard water spots on exterior glass.
Wondering if diluted CLR , or full strength will cut them and not etch the glass. Tried vinegar, helped some but spots are stubborn.
thx for any tips.
Andy

I've used polishing compound on acid rain spots on glass with very good success. Did it on my sunroof. Lots of rubbing, but it works.
Not sure on your other question.

There is a detail shop down here that sells a compound that is designed to remove hard water spots from windows. "Hard Water Stain Remover Paste" Money Back Guarantee!

"Effectivley removes water & Mineral stains, rust, tree sap, paint overspray, soap scum, and mildew from glass and other surfaces. Works great on shower doors, chrome, stainless steel, fiberglass, windsheilds, tile, porcelain, grout, corian, anodized brass, and aluminum." This professional strength cleaner is recommended for use in hospitals, nursing homes, manufacturing plants, hotels, supermarkets and other public facilities with difficult to clean surfaces.

DIRECTIONS Apply with a dry or damp cloth, sponge, brush, or electric buffer. Press firmly, loosening stian with rubbing massaging action. Rinse with water until residue free. Dry with cloth or paper towel.

Bio-Clean Products Sacramento, CA 1-800-341-5417

That is all the info off of the bottle. Runs about 9.99 for 10oz

For the tint adhesive, if i'm understanding you correctly, and the adhesive is on the tint (not glass) you're pretty limited, because anything that will remove the adhesive marks will also soften( hazing it) or dissolve the tint. You could * try* a 50/50 mix of diluted citrus based cleaner (Orange Glo etc.) but I can't guarantee negative results won't occur. Try it on an out of the way spot first.

If the adhesive is on glass, the full strength citrus cleaner or even lacquer thinner will easily remove it.

If the water spots are severly etched, even cerium oxide or Cerious abrasives won't be able to remove it. But if it's minor etching it probably can be made better by polishing with those. Eastwood makes a pretty good kit, FWIW. Good luck.

Last edited:
well i removed my tint adhesive (from the glass) with plain old WD-40 u need to spray and let it set for a minute or so then wipe it off rigourisly (with some pressure) if u are trying to remove adhesive from the tint then it should work aswell, i've never heard of water spots on exterior glass but try a rubbing compound made for glass or plexiglass this may work.

Back