Copper spray HG problem help

MartianBob

I screwed up, misread the instructions.

I sprayed a couple coats of copper spray on both sides of my Standard Blue Felpro head gaskets.

Is this going to be a problem?
So far I have the heads and and manifolds back on.
I'm not familiar with these products.
Does anyone have an opinions on this?

thanks a lot

Bob

Bob,

No it won't hurt anything...it just makes cleaning the surfaces a little harder the next time the gaskets need to be replaced.

David

Like David said that will not be a problem at all. I will spray both sides next time I do head gaskets.

Right On!

Thank you for the response!
That is great news.
I'm so glad I don't need to tear it back down.
Hopefully I'll be driving it to work tomorow.
Yahooo!

Bob

umm....I hate to disagree, but I would definitely take it apart and either clean all that crap off or get new gaskets. Our cars have Aluminum Heads and Cast Iron Blocks, and the 2 metals expand at different rates..... So there is movement between the head and the block surface as the engine heats up or cools down. ( think of it as 2 surfaces sliding against each other very slightly). The coating on the head gasket (FelPro uses Teflon i believe, Victor gaskets are graphite) is 'slippery', so the head gasket will not be damaged by this sliding action. If you use copper coat or any other sealant on a head gasket you are essentially taking away this important feature. When the engine heats up and the metals expand at different rates the gasket is going to be stuck in place and not able to flex and retain a proper seal......or the gasket sealer will simply tear loose in one spot and that's where you will get a leak down the road. This is not so much an issue with an older engine that is all cast iron but it is a common problem with newer vehicles that use cast iron blocks and aluminum heads. I sell auto parts and believe me, the 3.8 ford is not the only engine out there with head gasket issues! many are far worse....

Back