Valve cover

35th T-bird SC

Is there any way to get the drivers side valve cover off without removing the plenum? I have the upper IC tube off but it seems this is gonna be a PITA just to check the rockers. I wonder what Ford techs got for flat rate time for a job requiring actually getting to the engine..

35th T-bird SC said:
Is there any way to get the drivers side valve cover off without removing the plenum? I have the upper IC tube off but it seems this is gonna be a PITA just to check the rockers. I wonder what Ford techs got for flat rate time for a job requiring actually getting to the engine..

You will need to remove the plenum to get to the valve cover. And it can be a PITA. It took me about an hour to get to mine.

That's what I thought, it took me like two hours to tighten that back bolt closest to the firewall where the plenum bolts to the lower intake manifold. That was with the hood cowl out too. I don't know why it was so hard. It wasn't that bad coming out but with the new engine mounts I put in the engine is sitting higher and closer to the wiper motor stuff on that shelf under the cowl. Is it easier to pull the blower and plenum out all as one? That is what I did before so I don't even know how the plenum seperates from the blower. I can't believe how some people on here have gone to the valve covers a dozen times for adjustments and such, I guess you get good at it the more you do it.

It sounds like you left the cowl and wipers on. If you take them off it will give you a lot more space to access things near the firewall. Good luck

You need to pull the blower, intake plenum and TB off as a unit. Then remove the intake manifold adaptor using a 1/4" racket and a deep well 10mm socket. The coil pack will also need to be removed...then the rocker cover will come off.

It's a real PITA, I just did it a few days ago.

David

Back