Acceleration Issues

90CougarXR7SC

Looking for help. When it's warmed up it diesels or pings at approx 2500 rpm's. Good Fuel, and oil pressure. Runs great when cold at all rpm's. Does anyone have any ideas on this as I am new to these cars. :confused:

mine pinged when the egr hose melted the transducer its about dead center on back of intake behind the supercharger , some models dont have egr
you could also try colder thermostat and colder spark plugs

Last edited:
Bad fuel? Fill it with the highest octane you can find and add a bottle of injector cleaner. EGR problems and vacuum leaks will cause pinging. Good Luck

Ok, time for the stupid questions...What and where is the DIS module? The EGR appears fairly new (from the outside). There is a hose between the transducer and the EGR off the back of the intake pentium, with a downward pipe, no hose is connected (approx 3/8 diam). Also the rubber hose from the airbox to the throttle body has a fitting just infront of the right shock tower on the bottom, the hose is missing. Any idea where they should go to? Thanks for all the helpful feedback so far!!!!

The DIS module sits on top of the Air Conditioner...its gray and looks like a rectangle...also says DIS Module on the face of it I beleive.

-Tim

Pretty tough to see the EGR hoses...I deleted mine on both my 90 & 94 and each of them had bad hoses that were worn and cooked/weather checked...

Good luck

Brad

intake hose tube

if i remember correctly, the little elbow on the underside of the big rubber intake hose is supposed to go to the passenger side valve cover (or possibly to both valve covers) it's just a pressure relief tube for the valve cover(s)....i guess it's better than having that hot air from the inside of the engine floating around :) i think it's routed right next to the oil fill cap. i don't think it would make a car ping, but i'd prefer it to be connected properly anyways ;) like stated before....make sure you use high-octane gasoline, if you don't, your treading on dangerous ground - headgasket failure :eek: that's how my friend blew his...and of course, i got to suffer for it!:rolleyes: good luck!

dr feesh

The missing hose from the EGR pipe to the transducer will definately cause the car to ping, it happened to mine. But its not just a hose, its made of silicone or viton to take the heat from the exhaust. I tried using regular rubber hose and it fried after about 20 miles and the pinging was back. Ford charges the most for that hose, you only need 7" and they charges me $50.CDN.
The missing hose on the intake is just rubber and connects to a hard plastic pipe behind the DIS but under plug wires and fuel lines. Any kind of rubber hose will work on it but add a hose clamp so it will stay in place. Without that hose, your idle may not be right and you could be running a little lean because your getting unmetered air after the MAF. Not to mention the car cabin smelling like blow-by. good luck

OK, great stuff from you guys! I may still be a little lost her. The missing hose is not he piping between the EGR and the transducer, but rather there is a metal connection for a hose that goes into the upper back of the intake piping after the throttle body, but before the transducer location on the back. It appears to take a 3/8" hose. If this does go to the EGR does anyone have a diagram that may asssit in routing them correctly. The Haynes manual doesn't go into much detail. Thanks again for all the assistance!

If thats the case, it must be the PCV hoses that you're talking about. Under the t-body linkage, follow the hose to a metal tree where it splits with a small rubber hose going towards the pass fender and the larger hose going to the plenum. And this must be the one you're talking about. You need to feel all around the hoses and connections to see if theres a hole in them. I had a hole in the bottom of the little one and could hear the leak but could never find it until I was feeling around. Good luck

Back