oil in head bolt holes....

Brad94SC

we just removed the heads off my motor to re-do the headgaskets, and two of the bolt holes were filled with oil....

and the bolts stunk like a really bad burning smell... any ideas??

Same here

I just replaced my head gaskets today.
The top bolt holes on the front and rear both (left and right) had oil in them.
Some of the others had coolant in them. Stick a tube in there and suck all the stuff out before final assembly (do this for each bolt hole). You shoud really screw a bolt or stud in all the way on all holes to make sure nothing comes out onto the head upon final assembly.

cheers
Bob

Use a rag and compressed air and clean those holes out. The smell on the bolts is probably either a thread sealer or a anti-sieze. Buy new bolts as the factory are one time use torque to yield. I used thread sealer on all the head bolts. It's the white stuff and it's like $10 a tube.

Get a a Haynes manual at the minimum or better yet get a copy of the Ford factory manual for the procedure.

I bought the fel-pro headgasket set and fel-pro bolts.

Good Luck.

Jerry

thanks for the advice

ive got all the gaskets from Ford (it was a bit of a wait to get the fel-pro kit up here without payin a fortune for frieght), ARP head stud kit, and im gonna suck all the oil outta the holes as best as I can

strangely enough, there was no sign of headgasket failure, yet there was definatly coolant leaking from the seam between the block and the head....

You caught it just in time. I wasn't so lucky when cylinder #4 blew. On inspection of the other bank #3 was on it's way so it was only a matter of time. My car had 103,000 miles when they went.

Good luck,

Jerry

Back