HG Failure?? 4.2L HG Replacement

blwnbird

I have been reading some of the threads on the 4.2l HG replacement and it seems to me that there is a 50/50 split on which way to go. I think mine are going as there is coolant loss from the coolant bottle, but none from the radiator. It starts running hot if sitting at idle for a while but once driving it cools off to normal but will start to warm up especially if the a/c is on. I did replace the thermostat and radiator a year ago and have questioned if the radiator is the reason. It is all brass including the top/bottom tank. Think the passages are smaller. It does cool off if the fan runs. I don't plan to do major mods to the engine but would like to do some minor ones to increase the power. I don't race or beat on it(the tach has only reached 3500 once or twice). So are the stock replacement gaskets from Ford alright or is the best thing to do is use the 4.2l HG? What are the pros/cons of this situation. Any info would be of great help from anyone. Thanks!!
Mike

92 SC BLACK 5SP Stock

The stock Felpro gaskets will be fine. You can't really use the 4.2 gaskets anyway unless you resurface the block with a smoother surface finish.

David

Mike do yourself a favor and have your cooling system pressure checked by a rad shop or yourself before tearing the heads off.
I'm not saying your HG's arent gone but I've never seen one with blown HG's that would cool down because the fan came on.
HG's just might not be your problem and if there not your car will continue to act as it is even with new HG's.:)

felpros

i'll second (or third) the felpros! i did my friends hg's with them, and a head resurface, and he tortures that poor sc.....and they haven't blown in over a year. :rolleyes: BUT like MIKE 38sc said, don't rush to do the hg's so quick...i'd say it's something simpler as well - like a minor leak somewhere. check the less intrusive and cheapest things first! :) good luck man

dr feesh

hi to all and a question about headgasket replacement. i've got my heads off and just finished cleaning the heads and block. where are you guys getting your arp bolts or studs? i have the felpro bolts and now rethinking about using arp bolts. i spoke with summit yesterday and i'am not sure if he knew what he was talking about. he said the arp bolts are not reusable. also if using studs on a 90 sc, do you have to remove the abs assembly to get the head on and off? thanks, bob

RE: ARP Studs

I did a head gasket job using ARP studs in the car and didn't have to remove the ABS unit. It was a tight fit. I did however, have to trim some of the studs so that my exhaust manifolds would fit. I would also recommend using the studs, but note the torquing procedure is different from the torque to stretch bolts.

there is a chevy 2.8L arp set that a lot of people are running. there are part numbers posted somewhere here. That is what I am using and the exhaust manifolds will fit fine without trimming them.

Here is the number for the cheby ARP studs arp 233-4003 for the hex.$75.39
the 12 point arp 233-4303 .$85.39 these will clear every thing.

The Ford ones I would not buy these.
arp 153-4001 hex nuts.$102.69
arp 153-4203 12 point nuts.$113.39

RANDY

I'm using those Chevy studs too, in fact that info came from a post I made a while ago after talking to ARP about the length problem with the Ford kit.

If I remember correctly, to be able to clear the brake master cylinder you need to install the two rear-most studs after placing the heads on the block.

Thanks for the info. I do think that there is another reason but wanted to get some input as it seams the HG blow in the 125-145,000 range from what I have read. I will have do some more research on it. All I know is I want to get it fixed before summer so I don't have to worry about overheating. I may even go to an aftermarket aluminum radiator. Will talk to the guy at the radiator shop. Thanks alot. Keep the info coming.

Mike:D

MIKE38 on this board make aluminum radiators.HE has some info on the parts for sale section.
I did not have any clearence problems with the chevy head studs.

RANDY

4.2 hg

I beat the crap out of my SC the 4.2 hg set only lasted about 8 months with about 6-8k on them. Had head resurfaced and all!
But didnt replace head bolts :(

But didnt replace head bolts

I'm suprised they lasted a week...those gaskets won't seal if you don't clamp them down good. Head studs are a great investment for any SC you intend to keep for a few years.

David

I should have clarified it alittle more in regards to the cooling. When it runs warm I turn the defrost on so the cooling fan turns on. It does cool down but after a period of time of driving it does start to warm up and it seems like the fan isn't helping at all. I am glad I drive shorter distances of 20-50 miles so it has a chance to cool down before I head back home. Any ideas on that.

Mike

Re: 4.2 hg

Turbong2001 said:
I beat the crap out of my SC the 4.2 hg set only lasted about 8 months with about 6-8k on them. Had head resurfaced and all!
But didnt replace head bolts :(
WELL YOU GOT THE BEST OUT FO THEM:rolleyes: :cool: :cool: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

So what is better 3.8 felpros with new bolts or would the 4.2 work better with new bolts This time i am going to do it right and replace the bolts. And do i need to recut the head again or would it still be good from the last time?

i'd have the head planed again...for saftey's sake...and DON'T FORGET the new head bolts! :) i personally think felpros would be just fine, but i have no experience with the 4.2's good luck bud!

dr feesh

Turbong2001 said:
[B better new bolts 4.2 work better with new bolts This time i am going to do it right and replace the bolts. And do i need to recut the head again or would it still be good from the last time? [/B]
right on!!!!:rolleyes: :cool: :D :)

Back