$ install rear end gear

trife86

hey guys just want to hear an average

in my 89sc i have 3.08's needless to say they are very sluggish off the line but nice on highway speeds. i want to throw some 3.73's in it but i was just wondering how much would a average place charge to install gears cause i have no idea how to do so

Just go in and get an estimate from some reputable shops and then come back and let us know what you find...

You need to be ready to pay not only for the gears obviously, but also the rearend rebuild kit with all the bearings and bushings etc...It runs around 175bux if I remember right...Then the mechanix time/rate and there ya go...

If you were able to take the pumpkin out yourself you would be saving yourself megabux...

Brad

I took the pumpkin to a shop with new gears and an Aubern differential. The rebuilt the rear and installed the new stuff for about $400.00. Not cheap.

good thread

yea there should be a lot of people keyin on this one,this is a very good way to add a ton of hole shoot without loosing any reliability.the reason i understand why its so expensive cause im told they have to mesh the gears properly with shims.the other thing is the price of the parts.i dont think it would be very difficult to install the kit,but its settin it up thats hard.if ya look into it,it might not be as hard as ya think though.if it was mine i would.

THe cat that did mine is an aquaintance...He did it for nothing so long as I brought the parts to his shop....I got there and he told me to go have a long luch and it would be done...He had this thing toar down before I got out the door...

400bux seems damn steep to me just for a pumpkin rebuild...

Brad

i wanted to put in 3.73's in my bird and my friends all told me it would cost me bank to get it installed. I didnt think it could be that much so i called around a few shops and one quoted "3-4 hours labor at 85 an hour" and another shop said "300-400", both said including me bringin in the new gears and a rebuild kit. You can find gears for like 90, rebuild was something like 130(really dont remember), and then the 300+ for install. Total cost is $520+/-. Wish i could find a cheaper way. Some one told me to get a lightweight alluminum mustang pumkin with 3.73's installed and then just sell off your old pumkin and that would pro have a net cost of 150+/-ish(depends on if this works and where you get your mustang parts;)) Good luck finding a good cheap way to do it and if you find it let me know PLEASE. lol. Zach

Here most run $150 to install if I bring in the pumkin, 250 in I drive the car up and they do all the work. Also, I purchase the rebuilt kit, around 60-75 and its install was free, as he will be in there anyways

If you are wanting to do 3.73's and have no gears, look here as JustinH over at tccoa.com has the FRPP 3.73 ALUMINUM new for 540.00

Back