Problems with turbo setup.

SCCoupe50

Been on this project on and off for 3 years now and I'm getting sick of messing with it. I have always had problems where I could not build more than 10psi. I found that my crappy crossover pipe was leaking big time. So I built a better one and now no leaks. I finally mounted the DIS module properly and extended the wires to reach it. The car starts fine, but I'm fouling the plugs very quickly. The car constantly blows a light grey smoke at idle and black at higher revs. NOW, I should'nt have any intake leaks, I tested most of it at 30psi, and it seems to idle smooth. Two things that may be a problem that I dont know anything about is the EGR valve is not hooked up to the exaust, I plugged the hole. The map sensor is hooked up electrically, but the hose is not. This is hooked up to the exaust on my stock SC, but I was told that I should hook it up to the intake. What do the egr and map sensor do, do they have to be hooked up, and where should the hose to the map sensor be hooked up? Any other ideas why this thing could be running rich?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jasrush/tbird/page1.html

Thanks all.
Jason Rush

Looks like you have a very intersting project there. But I can't beleive someone who could put that together doesn't know what a MAP sensor does....Maybe I am missing something.

A MAP sensor is Manifold Absolute Pressure. It senses the air pressure in the manifold because that is part of the equation of how much air is actually going into the engine - a manifold's worht of air at atmospherice pressure is more that a manifold full of air at 30" Hg of vacuum.

Now in boosted application a special MAP sensor needs to be used. A typical MAP sensor only reads from 0 (atmosphere) to 40" or so. When you add boost you need a MAP sensor that can read boost, and PCM programming that can interperet and use that info.

All that being said I don't think the SC has a MAP sensor (unless you added one) We have a BAP sensor that just reads the atmosphere, and calculates the air going into the engine differently. (using Air Intake Temperature, Mass Air Flow, and other sensors.)

Do you have the vacuum line attached to the fuel pressure regulator?

I am a just do it kinda guy that does the research when needed to fix problems. I done ALL of the work myself but with a lot of time researching behind it. So, here starts more research to fix more problems. Ok, so we have a bap sensor. This needs to be hooked up the exaust or the intake? Will it not being hooked up cause a rich condition? Yes the fuel pressure regulator is hooked up to vacuum. However just in case it makes a differance, I had to use the fuel rail and regulator from the v6 mustang that I took the intake from.

If you are using the SC computer system it does not use a MAP but rather has a BARO as has been stated. The BARO's job is to report the atmospheric pressure so it should not be connected to anything.

First thing I'd suggest is to get a code scanner and check for codes so we can have an idea of what the computer sees as incorrect and go from there. Also it would be nice to know what fuel pressure is. Sometimes regulators stick and cause high pressure. And you might check to see if there is gasoline in the vacuum hose at the FP regulator. Sometimes the diaphragm leaks and causes a rich condition.

The EGR being hooked up has no major effect on anything. To prevent a check engine light, just plug in the transducer (the electric part). I ran my SC like this for years.

Ok, i was confused on the sensors here. The baro is hooked up. The sensor in question is the square black box that snaps in next to the erg. It has an electrical and hose connection. What is this?

It's attached to the plastic cowl, just above the EGR right? That would be the BAP. As stated it doesn't connect to anything (other than the electrical connection), it is supposed to read the ambient air pressure.

I took another look at your pictures. I assume you are still running the N/A intake manifold right? Which fuel rail, injectors and fuel pressure regulator are you using, and do you have a intake manifold vacuum / boost line attached to the regulator?

Last edited:
The sensor im talking about is the one attached the the back of the intake right beside it egr. On the stock SC it has an electrical connector and a hose that normally plugged into the same pipe that connects the egr to the exaust manafold. Yes, im using the n/a intake as shown. I rechecked on the fuel rail at lunch and seen that it and the regulator are from the SC. The regulator is hooked to the intake. I upgraded to 36lb injectors and a Pro-M 75mm MAF calibrated for the 36's.

THe sensor you are describing sounds to me like the DPFE (I think) essentally a sensor that monitors EGR flow to make sure the valve is working properly. It shouldn't be an issue if you have the EGR blocked off. It might set a code/check engine light, but shouldn't affect the air/fuel ratio.

It's good that you are using the SC fuel pressure regulator, I don't know if the Mustang one would compensate for pressure in the manifold.

I think you might be paying some of the price of being a pioneer here. I've heard of a couple people who have tried putting a turbo on the SC motor, but I don't know too many who have succeeded. Perhaps Gaston, who was using a SC shortblock with '99 Mustang heads and intake with a turbo. I think he posts on www.v6power.com you might try for him there. I think his car is called the Green Monster or something.

Are you near St Louis MO by any chance? I'd suggest maybe you could use a dyno tune from Brian of Apten Performance since you have made some radical changes to the intake airflow. How exactly is your MAF plumbed? I think Turbo setups can really screw up MAF readings, that is why Ford used a VAF meter instead on the Turbo 2.3L, or so I have been told.

Last edited:
Back