forcing bhj balancer on?

SlinginBeauty

Im installin my bhj harmoic balancer and am having problems getting it seated on the crank all the way. It slides on. the i can get it onto the keyway and started down but then it stops going in. I put a peice of wood across it and tried to hammer it in and the other option is to put in the crank bolt and washer and tighten it in. My pro is that i cant get the bolt threaded yet. Its not close enough and i cant get it closer to start threading. Anyone have ideas? I tried to get a longer mock bolt of the crank but noone has anything in metric 14 with fine threading that long at all. what can i do. ??? Please help. i want to get my baby running. Thanks all. Zach

Attachments

• balancerinstal.jpg
    balancerinstal.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 393
Find an Ace hardware, they carry a longer bolt with the fine thread pitch. Just take your bolt with you to match the size. That should get the balancer started.

Or you can rent a harmonic balancer install tool at Autozone.

There is also something about getting it honed prior to install. so do a search for that.

went to ace and other local harwear shops. Even went to the major fastener store in the area. No one had anything longer than what i already had. Also, how does this installer tool work? im interested and i know i can go rent it but if it doesnt work its pointless. Ive heard about the honing, but knowone is specific enough about it. Also i bought it used off someone so it has been on a car already. Doesnt mean mines the same but it should be. Ive pretty much ruled getting a longer bolt out b/c i dont have acess to one. Install tool sounds interesting but dont know anything about it. How does it force the balancer on? All help is very apprecated and thank you all very much. Zach

Being that your installing this with the engine installed, have you removed the radiator and fan to get more swinging room with the block of wood?

Rob, i have a mac and pdf format doesnt seem to work on my machine so i cant look at that. Thanks for sending it though. Maybe ill go to a friends with a pc so i can see it.
35th, i took out the fan to get some room but not the radiator. Wasnt thinkin the extra 2 in would help and dont want to drain all these fliuds if possible. THese projects just add up more and more for little things, which kills me b/c i spend more doing things and getting things i dont need which end up costin me money. I know that sounds lame but yeah. lol. I think thats next after i look up info on this installation tool.
Thanks all for help. Any and all more is appreciated. THanks. Zach

If you have an Auto Zone in your area go and get a harmonic balancer installer through there tool lone program. You'll have to give them a deposit for the tool but when you take it back you'll get all your money back. I installed a harmonic balancer yesterday with an installer from Auto Zone. The only issue I had with it is I had to cut about 1 3/4" off a pipe I had and slide it on the installer bolt before the big nut to bring the nut out far enough to get a wrench on it. Worked like a charm.:D

Personally, I wouldn't be trying to force it on with a hammer but that's just me.

Thanks. I dont got a ride now but ill go tomorrow morning to kreagen or autozone and check out the installer. I knew they had a puller but didnt know about an installer. Should only cost me a few to rent, ive done it b/f so its all cool. Hopefully it will work otherwise ill have to take it off and hone it a little more. Thanks all for your help. Ill keep you all posted to my progress. lol. Zach

35th T-bird SC said:
Being that your installing this with the engine installed, have you removed the radiator and fan to get more swinging room with the block of wood?

You ARE kidding, I hope! Start whacking on the end of the crank and say goodbye to the thrust bearing.

As with anything else, read the instructions, get the right tools, and if you don't have the skills or knowledge, find someone who does.

Did the vendor that sold you the balancer not send you instructions on how to install it? You cannot install the balancer without having it honed by a machine shop in order for it to fit your crank. The machinist will also need to mic the crank snout in order to know how much to hone the balancer.
Too much work and too much money for something thats not really needed IMHO. Good luck.:(

i saw it and didnt think it was a good idea either. But "Apply a small amount of RTV to the crankshaft keyway and neck. This will stop oil seepage. Reinstall the balancer onto the crankshaft being sure to line up the keyway. Use a piece of wood on the crank pulley to gently tap it onto the crankshaft nose. " which is here on http://www.sccoa.com/articles/crankbolt.php. when its not movin very well i thought i should ask. Ill be wokin on it tomorrow after class and see if i can find a installer tool to rent. Thanks all for the help and ill keep you all posted. Zach

I would not try pushing it on farther with an installation tool. The balancer will seize up on the crank snout welding itself on where ever it finally locks up and it will lock up. When that happens you will be pulling the engine and installing a new crankshaft.
Even if you managed to jam it on you will never remove it to do any future repairs to the timing cover or cam or timing chain for that matter. You will then have a throw away engine should you ever need to do any bottom end repairs.

Im confused now. What should i do then. Take it off and hone it till it slides on? I think thats beyond the point of it fittin snug besides the idea that i dont know where to take it to get it honed. What you suggest? run with my belts a half in off? Dont mean to sound mad or anything, just ive had a real hard time so far and you tellin me not to do the only other opion doesnt sound to great to me. Any advise rather than tellin me not to do it? Thanks. Zach

My advice to you is go back to page 1 of this thread and read those instructions that Rob posted, its all right there in black and white. There's no way around following those instructions.
That is just 1 of the reasons why I dont like the BHJ balancer.
I know I'm in the minority on the subject and it has a big fan club here, but it wont for long because they will fail eventually too because its the nature of the beast.

i have read it and i did again just b/c you told me to. For starters its about fit. I havent measured but i got it used off a similar year sc i believe so it should fit if thats all right. I emailed the former owner to see if im totally correct on what year car he had it on. After honing it to fit is to put anti seize compound on the balancer and start insaling. with it matched up at the keynotch(which its on) use a long 14mn 1.5finethread bolt to put it in. I have stated b/f that i have looked everywhere local to find one and cant find anything longer than my crank which isnt long enough. I guess i can order something but i got to call up a shop tomorrow to even do that. Other than that is use the install tool. You tell me not to do what it says then tell me to read it to find out what to do. Why not give me an idea of what to do or how to approch the situation rather than jumpin in and sayin dont do that. Ive done it. Others have done it and tell me the same thing but you but you dont say what i can do to get it done. The only reason im listenin to you is b/c you have more replys to post than is possible. I thought i was on here too much but if i add up all my post and compare to same length you have been a member i would only have 800 posts, nowhere in the thousands like you. Please help rather than tellin me it aint workin(which i already know) and give me some ideas how to fix it:) THanks. Zach

Well for starters no 2 cranks measure exactaly the same and you should know that before trying to tackle a job such as this. The instructions state the EXACT clearance needed for the thing to fit properly. Just because it fits your buddies crank does'nt mean it fits yours. Your parts will have to be measured to know for sure and you havent measured them so you do not know that it should fit. This has been talked about on this site 1000's of times.
The BHJ balancer is not plug and play and it will not work with the stock pulley unless you have the pulley balanced. There are numerous issues with this balancer that must be addressed before you can install it, its all right there in the instructions, what more do you need?
Beauty I'm sorry I bothered you. I should'nt have interfered and I opologise for that. Disregard anything I've said and just keep hammering on it until its on, you should be fine.

Back